perennial sunflowers

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

I know I have asked this before but there are more people on here now.

anyway, does anyone out there have perennial sunflowers? yep there is such a thing. They come back every year just like any other perennial plant.

I would like to acquire some new shoots, roots attached, that are popping above ground just now.

Mark

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I did not know there were perennial sunflowers. Are they true sunflowers with large seed centers! And do you have a link that I could use to learn more about them?

I have a perennial sunflower called the "Swamp Sunflower", Helianthus angustifolius. I got a couple plants from a member here, and they have already spread quite a bit. I figure I have 10 of them now.

Mark - let's see if you can find a local source for the plant, but if not let me know and we'll see about getting some of these over to you.

Dave

Dave

all I need are the shoots that are emerging right now. If you scratch around carefully you will see that some have rooted as they go . can I get some PLEASE. just wrap them in wet tissue and mail them asap.

I'll even swap you some.

here are some of my perennial sunflowers
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1389828&a=10396181&f=0

Mark

Alright Mark, I'll E-mail you.

Dave

now that was a fast response! 2 minutes later

Fast indeed. I'm paying attention today. :)

Okay, check your mail for the full information. This is my first international plant trade.

Dave

thanks Dave.

there is so much swapping goes on I had my eyes opened when I started.

Mark

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Mark, are you familiar with Jerusalem artichokes? They're a wild type of [perennial] sunflower here in the States. Some people call them weeds. Others use the tubers for eating. American Indians used it as a staple. It's a pretty plant, too.

Jerusalem artichokes are Helianthus tuberosus.

PS I sent your box today. Enjoy!

Dave

Milford, NH

Mark..I have perennial sunflowers..helianthus maximilianii, Very hardy...get to about 2-3m. with flowers 10-15 cm ..late bloomers and very vigorous growers....

Ele yes please on the maximillianii. are they small enough to mail?

Dave and Ele I could swap either hardy Geraniums or hardy Osteospermums for the sunflowers. For both would you rather have cuttings or seeds?

Mark

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Mark did you want some Jerusalem Artichokes?

Mark: Surprise me, but I'd prefer cuttings over seeds.

Dave

Poppy sue

if the tubers are small enough to post feel free to mail one to me.

Dave, I'll do my best to get your cuttings off to you this weekend. working long hours doesn't help much.

Mark

Turner, ME

How tall do these perennial sunflowers get? i checked out the pictures and believe these are what I have taking over one garden spot. I have been digging up lots of them and moving to other areas. Somewhere I have a picture I took of them last year. Will try to find and post.
Alison

P.S. if anyone wants any roots, let me know. hate to see them go to waste.

Furysma

me please!

Mark

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Furysma,
I would also love some roots. Please email me as to a trade or postage
Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.