Half my tree fell today

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

With the weight of this years crop of greengages was just too much for the tree and about a third came down with a tremendous noise, What a sad sight. I have just come in from gathering the crop of semi ripe greegages and chopping off the finer branches. The rest will have to be sawn tommorrow. will post a picture tommorrow. Anyone know any recipes for greengages?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

My mum always waxes lyrical about childhood memories of fresh greengages with bread and butter. Sorry - that doesn't help a lot i know. Perhaps you can post her some *G*

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

my gran used to make jam from them, don't know the recipe tho, here's a page i found: http://www.geocities.com/recipes_za/recipes/greengagejam.html

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

Try stoning them, putting them in an ovenproof dish with some sugar (or vanilla sugar) - no water - and baking them at about 140° C for 30 minutes or so, or even longer. The sugar draws the juice out of them so you get fruit and sauce. Lovely hot or cold.

Or, make a pie, put them in a crumble, make jam, freeze them.

My grandmother used to bottle them for winter puddings.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

What the heck is greengage? =)

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

Evert

It is a type of plum - prunus domestica or prunus italica (I've seen it as both). It is yellowish green and has its own special flavour. It was named after the English botanist Sir William Gage (1777 to 1864).

Greengages aren't as common now as they were - in my childhood they were much more common and we enjoyed greengage pies, as made by my Irish grandmother. She was an excellent cook.

If you browse "greengage" you can come with some receipes.

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

Baa

This is a very different recipe from my Grandmother's. Her's was made with a normal shortcrust pastry, sweetened, and the filling was, I think, just greengages and sugar. It was then served with cream.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Hmm, I have never heard of that. I thoght it could be what we call kriikuna, but then I checked the botanical name and it was P. domestica var. insitia so it isn't the same.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.