Someone is eating my passion flowers!!!

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

What insects are attracted to passoinflowers??? I have found half cirlces maybe "chewed" off the edges of the leaves they look perfect like they were cut with scissors.
Any ideas????
Becky

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Vine weevel or caterpillar from Gulf Fritillary?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sounds like leaf-cutter bees.They take the circles and stuff then into narrow holes for a bed for the egg they lay in them. They don't hurt anything and you really can't stop them, anyway.

Oh, forgot about those!!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

It's the Gulf Fritillary going at mine - they are almost leafless now. I love butterflies but I don't think I like them using my passion flower as a host plant. Brenda

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I wish it was a butterfly!!! I examined that plant real close last night and found a spider web inside??? Could this be the culprit???

No, spiders are bug eaters, no vegetarian spiders that I know of.
Plantnutz, you may want to plant a few plain incarnata PVs for the frits, that way you can "relocate" the ones on your favorites.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

After one major chomp session on my Incense, I read that having an 'extra' worked for the frits. I planted 2 more and now there seems enough for everybody. Though I haven't seemed to have had as many as the first time. Does anyone know if they are kind of cyclic?

Usually we have two crops here, one in the spring and one in late summer. They like pansies too.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Cala, all I have outside are the plain incarnata but most of them are almost leafless. Brenda

Plantnutz, well if the plant is almost gone, they will move on, lol. It will recover. Incarnata grows wild here, the cats love it, but more and more come back each year.(more and more incarnatas) I bet some of the others are hardy in your area. I'm testing the hardiness of some this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.