Near white canna hybrid

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

this hybrid I did, bloomed last year for the first time..was a pale yellow..this year even paler ..almost a white!Big flowers..the foliage is Papaya plant nearby.:-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

excellent job, it's so nice.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

0tiG..thanks!!You still reading your book?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

every night!!! plans change daily:)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Beautiful. I am jealous.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Kyle, speaking of papaya, do you save seeds?? if not, I'm going to have to put the lookout on.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Kyle, very nice indeed...

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

tiG..I'll have fresh papaya seeds later this week..I hope..or early next week..email me.

I have been growing a papaya for 2 1/2 years and got my first fruit this summer. It ripens nicely on the tree but contains no seeds. Any ideas on this one? Is it normal?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh Eclipse, you get sweeter and sweeter!!!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Studley...first mine were grown from seed in Feb..they are just now blooming.
If you only have one plant..the tree will fruit but there will be no seeds as the flower was never cross pollinated. Does that make sense? LOL

Sure does make sense. I wonder where I can find another papaya tree in New Hampshire? Guess I'll have to grow my own.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine finally opened a bloom today. How long does it take the fruit to mature? I know I won't have seeds, just looking at the fruit here. Thanks Kyle for the specimen. I love the way it looks and will sure put it in a better spot next year. Will it lose it's leaves over the winter in the basement?

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Are the papayas you guys are talking about edible? my mouth is watering already....do you grow it as an indoor plant then?

This message was edited Tuesday, Aug 13th 11:49 AM

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Brugie, they need to be kept warm all winter so find an upstairs window in the living room.
Pebble, yes they are edible types and have to be kept warm overwinter.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Kyle, if treated as a house plant then they would bear fruit?

Hamilton, Canada

Kyle,
Your hybrid is beautiful...oh my wish list just gets longerrr and longerrrrrrrr and longerrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My first few blooms didn't produce any fruits, and my first few fruits fell off, though those formed in winter when light levels were low. Now the fruits keep coming. They don't taste too good though. The tree sure looks great though, next to my cannas and brugs.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, I don't know if my livingroom can handle something this big. I can put it in the familyroom, but the light isn't as good there. What to do, what to do, what.......

So how long for the fruit to mature?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Not sure....brugie...

Hamilton, Canada

Kyle take a lil peek at dat hybrid ya gotz there...any lil seed pods showin yet...those lil babies is mine, I gitz first dibs on em...lol

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Kyle love the canna ,you are soooo good

Is there a dwarf papaya?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

CC I don't know..I haven't ever seen a real dwarf one...

Hamilton, Canada

oh gosh i just read this thread again carefully. I better go and buy a papaya for more seeds. I only have only plant and I wanted fruit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.