Nest, but who's?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I'd remembered wrongly, thinking this nest belonged to the little black bees i posted in photos as 'Sharing breakfast'.
But they're not little black bees at all.
Interesting nest though. We saw a few of these little funnels attached to trees.
Also similar ones on the ground made from the surrounding mud, but didn't discover who they belonged to - never enough time for everything!

Thumbnail by philomel
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

cute the way they 'guard' the entrance. they must bee one of the potter bees/wasps

They weren't as static as they look. There was a constant flow in and out. When they thought i was hanging around too long they came out to investigate. I wasn't too sure i wanted to be investigated - in fact a couple got caught in my hair, so i was lucky they didn't seem to sting!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

did you get any bats stuck in yer hair? thats why I got my my long hair cut off when I went to Belize in 2001

I was wondering whether to mention this possibility (silly ole wives tale!) No i didn't.

Don't think that's a very good reason for getting your hair cut. If it's tied back it's probably harder for bats to get hooked up than if it's all gelled up ;P

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

philomel, hard to believe that tale traveled across the pond..lol..I thought that was just something folks believed here. Intresting isn't it..I wonder how it got started?

You wasp or bees look like they would really hurt if one was to get stung. Nice photo.

Lisa, i'm not sure which way across the pond this one travelled! It's been around on this side a very long time :)
It may have come about because insects are attracted to the heat from human bodies and tend to gather above your head as you walk. This may have brought bats in to feed making the people think that the bats were swooping low at them rather than the insects. The bats certainly wouldn't want to get caught in anyone's hair, but perhaps with some of the bouffante styles of past centuries (not to mention the insect life they contained) this may have happened.
All surmise, but interesting

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.