Deer Delicacy or Deer Repellent?

(Zone 5b)

I love daylilies and have always had them. Six months ago we moved to Bambi Central (Zone 5). I bought daylilies yesterday, but the nurseryman told me the deer love them. He warned me to plant them within fenced areas of the yard, which is not my first choice. I'm questioning him because they grow rampant around here, along wooded roadsides, and everyone seems to have them.

Does anyone have any experience with daylilies and deer? BTW, we choose not to use deer repellents. We love to have them visit and have some plants they can eat in a restricted part of the yard. Elsewhere I stick with deer repellent plants.

Also, do daylilies really need full sun? I've always planted them in full sun but have some more shady areas here which I think they would dress up nicely.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

No daylilies dont have to be planted in sunn. I have some in lots of shade and they still bloom well. They may take a bit onger to establish themselves but they will bloom for yoou if they get enough water and are not planted too deeply. I have heard both tales about the deer, sorry I can not help in that aspect.

Polson, MT(Zone 5b)

Hi Maggie: Here in MT Z5, the deer LOVE the daylillies. Of course, we don't have them growing all over the roadsides here either, so maybe they are a delicacy to them! I did have one bloom out of a unfenced planting way down by the pond this year. Every other year they munched all the blooms off.

Ozark, MO

I have heard that you can make a spray out of cayanne(sp?) pepper, water and dish soap and that will keep the deer from eating them. I have also heard that garlic and eggs(?) in the concoction work also. Just don't use the very hot peppers in the spray or it will burn the plants. You also have to reapply it after it rains or it will wash off and Bambi gets fed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.