Coleus collection

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I went around the yard and took a cutting or two from each plant.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is what I did too Cala. I only have about a dozen kinds. You have some I'd sure like to get a start of. I'm going to take the photo and see if I can mark it and then send it to you with my wants. That be okay?

Cala,
That's a pretty picture with all the colors.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Just took a bunch more cuttings, I need to do this same thing. Cala I see two that I don't have that sure would look good here:)

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Cala, very colorful....these are annuals arent they? and everyone takes cuttings from this year for the next year?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Cala..I love the yellow one in the center...with the toothed edges..!
:-)

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Beautiful!!!!!!!!☺☺☺☺☺

"eyes"

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful all of them wow healthy plants and great colors.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Cala, Love the red edge with yellow green center.Are any of them Sun Coleus.

Brugie, that will be fine. They are easy to start. TiG, LMK which ones and I'll start them for you too.
Pebble, they are annuals(actually perennials where it's frost free). I start some cuttings and keep in the greenhouse.
Barbara, they are all sun coleus. I'll try to start the ones you'all like, lol.

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 7th 9:00 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

They look great all together.

They make a gorgeous bed all by them selves. I used to plant a coleus bed with these, but didn't get around to it this year. It got too hot too early.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I love Coleous - Calla, still have some of those you gave me last year! I have made a small bed of them too, next to the walk by the garage. Doug says, plant the whole bed with them. I think I now have almost all the same ones you have here. Except the small pink one on the bottom right of your pic!!! Lol!

You're right Azalea, I think that one is a new one.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi, Cala and all!

Your coleus are beautiful! I put some in my 'Dark Side Garden' and they are stealing the show. Do you have any dark ones? I can trade some pretty ones that I have.

I would love it if someone organized a coleus secret swap. I have so many varieties and love them! It would be a great way to spread the wealth among so many DG members. Since they are so easy to propogate, cuttings could be rooted in the time it takes to organize such an event. I simply haven't the time now.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm so tempted to start one. But then if I do, I still need to trade with all of you to make sure I don't miss any.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice colection! I start a few packets of Coleus 'Mixed' every year. You never know what you are going to get, but are always surprised.

TiG, a coleus secret trade would be fun!!
Evelyn, I have one that's so red it's almost black, I forget it's name. The more sun it gets, the darker it gets.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

okay, we'll do one if I can get at the minimum all of the people on this thread. how many plants would you say is going to be minimum in something like this? I don't want anyone to get slighted. What if we say at least 5 different varieties? and we could send one of each that we have, but need some input here.

TiG, I was thinking 6 different ones, but 5 is good. Wonder if there are any coleus collectors that don't have many? We would still want them to be able to participate.(I'll take anything with colored leaves, lol)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that's true Cala, if you love them, you always look for them.
I like 6 better, it was my first thought too. :) okay, guys, will set this up, posting in planttrading forum. hope y'all join up!!

I'm on my way!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm there too.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Is there a site that will tell you the names of the coleus? I bought some this spring, but they were just labeled mixed. They are all different, but I don't know the names, and I'd like to.

Can you believe it? tiG just started a Secret Coleus
swap? HMMM

She must REALLY be organized.

Are you all game??

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm the last from organized, but I take the swaps seriously. :)

tiG, sorry for the suggestion, but I am just so addicted to coleus. you are probably more organized than you let on here. Thanks for undertaking it!

Studley, you are right. She is very organized!!
Joan, Glasshouse Works has a coleus gallery.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Studley, don't be sorry!!! this is fun, and I already had the one going, so it's not hard to keep in the mode:)
I just hope that all of you get something you don't have!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I was thinking about that last night in bed. We could very easily just be mailing out about the same coleus that we would get. I don't mind taking a chance on getting a new one though.

OK, OK, I'm in, too. I just can't resist. You all are right. They are just so beautiful!

I have enough to trade out. I checked this morning. I will take some cuttings for myself and send you all the plants.

I don't have much room to winter over, so I decided to put them all in one pot by the window in my room. I keep a spider plant there, so I guess I just move it. Although having the coleus there will remind me to water the spider. I let it go dry SO MANY times! LOL! Now maybe I'll get some indoor plant food and they all will look nice. That poor spider, almost looks like one. What is the best plant food for coleus? There are so many on the market..

Thanks everyone, and especially thanks to our wonderful tiG!! XXXUUU :-)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you're sweet evelyn, but you have time to root cuttings for the swap. No need to send the plants out, you'd pay for the postage big time! we're all taking cuttings and rooting them.

OK, tiG!

Still, can you reccomend a fertilizer? Or don't you use one?

Thanks again!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I just use miracle grow:)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

here's a good picture page to help with some id's. it's not huge, but helped me name two. http://www.crownsvillenursery.com/coleusgallery.htm

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

here's another http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/coleus_catalog.htm

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow - those are great Tig - thanks for posting. Now we don't have any excuse for not labeling them!! That one called Inky Fingers, is also called Duck's Foot!

I had NO idea that there were SO many Coleus!

tiG, you know how to keep us going....(or is that growing??)

:-)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL!! I saw quite a few there that I want!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.