Purple Wave 'Purple Wave' (Petunia Multiflora procumbens)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

This is one purple wave plant in a 14 inch pot. It has a spread now of 2 1/2 feet and hangs over 2 feet and is climbing up the back of the chair a good 10 inches. A prolific bloomer and rapid grower.

Common name: Purple Wave 'Purple Wave'
Family: Solanaceae
Genus: Petunia
Species Multiflora procumbens

Thumbnail by Kell
Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

And yet another awesome photo from Kell, thanks for sharing!
James

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee, thanks so much!! How I love petunias. They are easy bulk color!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kell, I keep thinking about this image. How lovely.
I grew the Purple Wave a few years ago and was amazed with the spread. I planted 2 in a perennial bed and they took off, one got 10 feet wide growing in between everything else. It didn't fade until hit by frost.
Andy P

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Andy, I have collected seed from the purple waves, and the resulting plants were quite similar in color and habit. I mention this because the seeds are so expensive to buy.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Weez, They didn't make seed that I could find.
I'm going to try them again this year, they are too good not to have at least a few.
At 35 cents per seed they are expensive for an annual.
Andy P

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Maybe I'm telling you something you already know, Andy, but the seeds develope at the base of the spent flower. If you're deadheading, of course, you won't get seeds. If I plan to collect seeds, I isolate a potted plant or two and let them set seed. I've collected seed from Purple Wave, Lilac Wave, and Pink Wave. All come back similar to the parent plant, but the purple is the closest. Once the flower is spent, it will be some time before the seed pod will develop. It is shaped like a little acorn.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm familiar with how they make seed, I just didn't see any on mine.
I thought it was odd, no seed.
I'm a seed saver.
Andy P

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

That is strange. Well, the seeds for the purple ones came from a friend who collected them back in the late 90's. Maybe the plant hybrid has evolved?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought a 4 pack at a garden center. You can be sure I would have saved seed of these.
Maybe next time.
Andy P

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It is rather funny that these old seeds are still viable, but they still give me seedlings. It is also interesting that the seeds collected from plants started from the original collected seeds have reverted back to something different. These plants have a lavender flower with deep veining and a dark center. The habit is less sprawling, but different the regular petunias, and the blooms are amazingly fragrant!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Weez, got any extras?
Andy P

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think so, Andy. D-mail me with your address.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ahhhhh Kell, I'm on a petunia craze and those are just beautiful!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gosh Brin, this was from 6 years ago. I had so much more room then.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought a few more Waves last Spring, they set seed. Little waves are coming along fine. Tiny seeds, lol.
I also had a volunteer pop up last year. It spread about half as much as a Wave but had much larger flowers. Here it is overtaking dwarf, white, double Balloon flowers.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think that the seeds from Wave are variable, but for avid seed collectors, it is interesting to see the results.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love pink and white together.

I have some petunias that came up last year and again this year from seeds. They may be Wave. They are winding all over my plant hospital making the graveyard look festive.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I wish our climate allowed our petunias to self-seed. It would be especially fun to have a bed of Old Fashioned Vining petunias, but second and third generation waves would be lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.