vigna

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It's fragrance is almost overpowering in the Jungle House. I like the one in the garden much better.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Cala . . do you think the fragrance would be too strong outdoors on a lattice covered seating area?

I had it near my patio last year and it was pretty potent. I'm really enjoying one that's on an arbor in the garden. It's far enough away that I just get a whiff every now and then, though some folks love the scent.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Guess what Cala, yesterday saw mine blooms just start small one so exciting and will go check it out little while . I am so happy and can't wait smell like.

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Cala . . could I talk you into starting a cutting for me? Please!!

BN, I think I may have one, if not, they root fast.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hey Cala. I am gonna to put photo for you to see what I have Vigna right now.

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Cala. I still have not got that lavender trumpet rooted. I decided to put part of the vine stem under the soil and see if it would root that way.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Cala,
that plant looks so cool.Is this a snail vine?
Happy Birthday :-)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes it is snail vine!

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks REDROSE :-)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Is it a perennial vine for you in zone 7, or do you have to overwinter it?

It came back for me this spring, first time ever but our winter was really mild. I planted it a couple of years ago in a sheltered area and it didn't come back up.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

So are you saying that you mulch it heavily in the wintertime or have to replant this vine as an annual? Do you usually have mild winters with above freezing temperatures, or can you get 'freak' ice/storm storms?

I'm curious because I have the same vine and it is my first year growing it. I don't want to loose it, so I probably will dig up the vine and overwinter it in my basement.

We usually have a few weeks of really cold freezing weather in January.
Yes, the vine is usually an annual here. I have brought it in, let it go dormant like a mandevilla just watering enough to keep it alive. It lost all it's leaves but started to grow in March. I then repotted it, watered and fertilized it and it bloomed pretty fast when compared to a seed raised one. Last winter, just to be safe, I brought 4 plants in to the greenhouse. They didn't grow much until Feb or March.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

cut it back when you bring it in?

yes, I left it about 4 feet long because that's how long the original bamboo stick was.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This isn't the snail vine RR. It is the corkscrew vine. Big difference in them. The snail vine doesn't have fragrance and the blooms are a blue color and don't look like Cala's blooms at all. The snail vine would cover a fence so fast, you wouldn't know what hit you. Like me, mine is all over my flower bed. Runs along the ground too. The Corkscrew vine (above) is a little more manageable. I like them both, but the one Cala posted would be my favorite.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yeah I mean excuse me sorry it is corkscrew vine. I got from Cala. Sorry zameluzza~

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks everyone :-)

OK now I have two more plants on my wish list *LOL*

RR that's OK I forgive you :)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks! =)

(Zone 5a)

OH Cala my poor heart is breaking. I am still waiting on mine to bloom, your plant is so lovely. Can you tell me why a few leaves are brown on the bottom and could that be the reason it's not blooming?

Wind, a few brown ones on the bottom is normal. It takes it's sweet time is all I can say!! All the ones I sent out were tip cuttings. They should all bloom this year.
OK, Brugnanny, Zameluzza and I think Waterloolily was the third one, I have them rooted. I only have those 3.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think mine finally has buds!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO Between this vine and the brugs, I thought anticipation would kill me this year! LOL

BS, remember to stay calm, don't want you in the hospital again!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine has just really started to put on a show here. I'm a little disappointed that the blooms don't last a little longer, but as the vine keeps putting out new clusters, I don't think I'll even notice that. Thanks Cala for the start of this one. It is a keeper.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Cala I thought that something was wrong with the plant. I ordered four plants and gave one to my best friend and the other three I planted so I am just going to give it a talking to like you said, I am going to treathen it lol.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Calalily,
do I read corectly? am I gonna get one?
that would be great!

yes, they are rooted, gonna mail this weekend, hate to mail on Wed/Thurs because it might sit all weekend. Do I have y'alls addresses?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.