close up of naked lady

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

so very pink!

Thumbnail by Kell
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Very pretty flower.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have tried these a couple of times, but I just can't get them to go. I remember when I got my first start once from an elderly lady, Iwas so excited. When I went home I told my hubby that I had a naked lady in the back of the pickup. LOL

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

OK - I give - what's a naked lady?? Maybe I should rephrase that - what is this naked lady??

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

amaryliis belladona............it has no leaves when it blooms so they call it a naked lady..............

gee lenjo, did it die in the winter or was there too much rain.......i will send you a bulb if you want to try again............

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

hon, you just feel free to stick one of those in my box!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

OK tiG!!!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh kell I would love it!!!I used to see them more here but not as much as I used to. Do you have the fall crocus? Will it do for you there? I would think so if you can do the naked lady. They are a white and lavendar color. They do the same as the naked lady, all the foliage in spring and summer and that dies off and up come the blooms in the late summer/fall.Do you have these tiG?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, don't have those either.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

If you will send my your address I would be glad to send you some.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Kell, could I get some of the seeds? They look like marbles and are translucent.

I have some reds, but mine look a bit different and I also have white. Mine are not blooming yet.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

George, I usually do not let them go to seed but just for you I will let a stalk stay! If you would rather I can give you a bulb.
So are you sure your red one is an amaryllis belladonna and not a lycoris? I have seen dark pink ones in pictures but never red ones. Can you post a picture? It must be stunning!
thanks Kelley

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i've always been yearning to have a 'naked lady' bulb. can someone pls spare a bulb for postage? TIA.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I guess the time to move the bulbs is right after blooming, so yes I would be interested..

I have lycoris also. They are definitely different. The blossoms are on much shorter stalks and the blossom has narrower petals. But the main thing about lycoris is that the petals are sparkly as though they have bits of glitter.

When mine bloom I will be posting pictures.

Oh, and I won't be around for a week or so. I'm going to Alaska to fish for salmon.A client of mine is taking me and a couple of other fellows for a week.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I could never get lycoris to stay alive. I do not know why. These thrive on neglect! Well, we will have to trade..........I want a wild king salmon for the bulb.................LOL!! YUM YUM. Do you like Thai food? My DH made the absolute best sauce for salmon on Sunday. Absolutely the best. I will be happy to send it to you if you like different flavors!

Ma Vie....now you tell me............ after I already sent you a box! It will be awhile yet as they are in full bloom.........but maybe by then I will have another brug or 2 to share with you.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

sorry i didn't know u have some. don't worry i got all the time in the world. no rush! thanks Kelley :)!

here's url for lycoris radiata culture ... http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/lyco_rad.cfm

check this out Kelley ... http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~adpal/kellydalenursery005.htm ... one to die for. rare and unusual!!! another one to tease ur appetite for amaryllis. LOL!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

gee Ma Vie, trying to make me feel PATHETIC!! that site says anyone can grow lycoris,........just plant ANYWHERE and forget..............LOL, I guess I am pathetic!

Find me a source to buy that purple one............... YUM YUM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

no, no, no... i sent u the url, thinking u might have missed something. i use superphospate or bone meal during planting time of any bulbs. so far it has not failed me yet.

wish i knew where. sorry can't find a source except the hyperlink above.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I kid you Ma Vie...................loved the sites!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i had that site bookmarked several yrs. ago. another one on wish list. so far todate, i still have not seen source for it. one day, i hope!

been a lot day. am off for the night. good night Kelley :)!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, Kell, those are the fall crocus.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Lenjo, you have mail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.