Color change in seedlings of Bleeding Heart

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

I have an Old fashioned bleeding heart, that has seeded itself. My question is, the mother plant is the pink, two of her seedlings are white bloomed, one is light pink, and one is darker pink almost red. She was the only bleeding heart I had growing. Can they produce different colored seedlings. I didn't think she was a hybrid. I'd like some input on this. I am stumped. We thought maybe a bird dropped the seed for the white, but then the other colors started blooming. The plant is about 4-5 years old.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'd like to know too, so I'm bumping you. Do you have the short plants or Dicentra spectibilis?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I know that the Dicentra eximia can seed different than the parent plant but I have never heard of the Spectabilis reseeding from pink to white.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've had a hard time getting the white to even have a seedling. 2 years ago I had 2 seedlings. (They bloomed white,) and I've had them since 1985, in the same spot, with access to bare ground. I've got exima written down, because I think it would be neat to get both colors going, unless white turns out to be dominant. Thanks, two plants in one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.