MG - Hatsu Arashi

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This morning glory is really intense. The flowers are 5-6 inches across. The vine hasn't grown very much but it's starting to take off now.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, gorgeous!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Unbelievable intense shade of blue with a "glowing" internal white light.

Do you have it growing in part-sun? What is it growing with? Thanks for sharing it with us:~)

Wow,what a beauty!!!!
Where did you find seeds?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I made a trellis from conduit[?] poles and have strings staked to the ground for the morning glories to climb up. It works out pretty well cuz I can cut the strings in the fall and haul them away without having them seed all over. I got the seeds from The Fragrant Path... my Chocolate glories came from there too. Here is his decription for this one

"Ipomoea nil Hatsu Arashi. I believe this is the correct name for this Imperial Japanese Morning Glory - It is a large flowered deep purple blue with white and a little green in the throat. When cultured in pots by the Japanese the flowers can go to 6 or 8 inches across, but grown in the ground tend to be about 4 inches. A gorgeous plant, but can't tolerate as much wind as regular morning-glories."

The flowers get a little beat up by the wind but it holds up better than the chocolate. they stay open most of the day as long as it doesn't get too hot.

Thank you for taking the time to look up the description of this gorgeous mg! The Fragrant Path is an excellent seed company. I have also gotten many packets of seeds from them too!

That is a clever and inexpensive way of constructing a climbing structure! The best thing is that you can take it down during the winter and set it up somewhere totally different in the spring! Very versatile :~)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

do they have a web site? or how can I get a catalog?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

heres the addy:
Paper Catalog Cost: $2
Address:
P. O. Box 328
Fort Calhoun, NE, 68023 (United States)
no website :(

You should enter it into the MG photo contest :~)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

tiG, click on the name. Tells about it and address.

Poppysue, could you post a close up of the pipe........I can't quite visualize how you attach the string on top and on the bottom.

thanks

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'll try to get a picture of it today.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Kell - here it is http://davesgarden.com/journal/viewentry/18523/index.html I spose it won't be on the cover of Martha's magazine but it works. By this time last year the MGs had covered it. They got a late start this year tho.

I've got some really neat seeds from The Fragrant Path. It's my favorite place to buy from. The seeds are $1.50 a pack and $2 for the rarer type seeds.

My goodness! What a beautiful shade of blue. Very pretty indeed

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

great idea poppysue..........a wall od mgs.......... i love it

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Sue, I'm going to use your idea next year. I have had MG's all over the place this year. Not really good at keeping them trained, I guess. Great Idea for the trellis. Should work for passifloras too.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Poppysue, I love the blue of your MGs and also looked at your trellis....how clever!
Will you be harvesting seeds of this? will they come true do youthink? If you do save some seeds, I would love to get in line. thanks

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'll certainly save seeds for this one. Not sure if they'll come true or not. I don't have many other MGs blooming cept the chocolate anyhow. I've played around with pollinating a few blooms with bind weed pollen. I have those ones marked so I won't mix them up.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

That color is a really true blue. I love anything blue and being a climber is an added bonus. I would love to trade for some seeds later when you get them.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Come spring when I can't find my email link for this seed seller of MGs....I will be posting on here .....HELP who remembers the good mg seed catalogue! I am definitely going to grow more MGs next year.....being daved has widened my horizens!

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 11th 12:30 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.