Wanted source for Sun Coleus

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Kyle where did you get your 25 varieties. Anyone else know of a source?

Thumbnail by Bward
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

www.glassworks.com, they have some on ebay, but not all of them. I have ordered from them, and got nice plants.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Tig, which ones do you have. Maybe we can exchange cuttings.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't have names on all the ones I've picked up here and there. I need to make pictures. will get to that as soon as I water. I did get Emily and Harlequin from them, but it's a different harlequin from what I already had.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

What is the difference between "Sun" coleus & regular coleus? I planted some of mine in the sun... does that make it "Sun" coleus? It all seems to be doing Okay. Can you plant Sun coleus in the shade?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Yes, Sue, you can. In fact, the color becomes more intense in the shade.

Maybe we all should begin some cuttings for nice plant trades in the fall. I'm like tiG, I don't know all the varieties that I have, but I'd be glad to share any of them.

This message was edited Friday, Aug 2nd 8:48 AM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a link to another thread we had that listed several sources of Coleus: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/272079.html

(Sorry, I was just too lazy to list them all out again, grin :)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

For some new colors go to www.singingspringsnursery.com

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Barb..lots of ours were collected from many local sources..trips to other conservatories etc.I will start some cuttings for trades this fall............

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh no, did you see that alocasia Hilo Beauty?? Kyle, stop doing that!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

tiG..I saw it...and ordered it last winter...its growing my water garden at work!!LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

now why does theirs have the black spots and all the others I see with that name have white spots??

Poppysue, how are the coleus I sent you in the cute little watertubes? I have collected a lot more this year as well. I am terrible about coleus. I simply take cuttings wherever I go. They are too easy to grow not to!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Studley - they're doing great! I took some cuttings from them yesterday to root for trades. I think the yellow one is my favorite. So ... are they "Sun" coleus??

I think sun coleus is merely a trade name for a series of coleus. From my experience all coleus will take full sun. It's just that they are merely thought of as a shade loving plant because they excel in the shade as well and have been used that way for so long.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Kyle,please put me on the coleus trade list for the fall. Maybe you can find something I grow that you need.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Kyle, I'd love cuttings too, or seeds if you let them go to seed.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Tig, you are as bad as I am--Why aren't you in bed??

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

when I babysit and can't get on for a while, I have to make up for it. I never go to bed before 1:30 anyway, but most nights I just read.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have a few sun coleus too and will take cuttings to trade this fall.
BWard and Tig, can't believe you both are still up.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Tig and I seem to be night owls. What are you doing up this late?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

barb, you beat me by a mile. I turned in right after I posted.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Sun coleus are a different form of coleus..picked for the ability to grow large and strong in sunny areas and bloom much less than standard coleus.Standard coleus have a very short lifespan..they bloom when small then done growing...whereas the sun forms continue to grow for several years..they can also be trained as standards(tree form) and reaching heights of 4 feet or more after training.Many new colors are simply branch mutations from older plants.we came up with several new colors over the years by this method..mostly different colors of the same pattern. :-)

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Kyle, thanks for the idea of growing them as tree standards. I think some of mine would be 6' if I didn't keep them trimed. Love these plants. They have certainaly proved themselves with my large tropicals. By the way, on your post the other day with the fence--what were those beautiful cannas? The whole area is breathtaking. You have a nice nack for using multi color and texture for a dramatic effect.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Barb..which pic? I have Princess Di on the inside of the bed and Cleopatra on the outerside..also Tropicanna and Pacifica in the other bed south of the walkway.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

If you trade this fall I would love to be included. Anyone else have 'Tilt-a-whirl'?
I just have 5 different kinds, but really love them!

KathyJo

I meant this to read I have one kind of tilt-a-whirl , and several different kinds of coleus.

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 4th 2:03 PM

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

KathyJo, do you have a photo of Tilt-a-whirl? We need to start a trade list of the sun coleus for the fall. I have 3 varieties and will get their names. Anyone else interested?

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't have a picture of tilt-a-whirl. It's leaf is more round and it looks like someone cut it out with pinking sheers (a saw-tooth edge). Kinda cool.

I also have one small duckfooted coleus. This is a small clumping variety. It's leaves are burgandy. The more sun it gets the darker the burgandy.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Bward..go to the coleus section of Glasshouseworks catalog online..they have good pics for most kinds..good for ID purposes.

:-)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

is this it? I love this one http://davesgarden.com/editgj/showimage.php?iid=9571

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

tiG..regular Tilt a whirl is a yell/rust/orange color..autumn like..this one you posted the link to is different.Same shape different colors..I love yours too!
:-)

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

The tilt-a-whirl in the picture has the same leaf shape as mine , but the coloring is different. It's like Eclipse says, yellow-rust-orange. Oh, I like this one too! oh dear.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

mine has a lot of purple in it. I'm going to be taking cuttings a little later for trades (I still have a lot of season left). And of course, have to save enough of this one to have it next year.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I took photos of mine, I'm trying to ID them(darned bunny ate lots of tags) and get them all posted in my journal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.