Tropicals: Iochroma

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

How do I root cuttings from this?? I want to share it with those that have been so generous with me but I really don't have a clue where to start. Is NOW a good time to try? DeeinFla mentioned before that the Kartuz guy does them with perlite in baking pans... without drainage holes. Do you think sand will work? Should I use a rooting hormone? Should I cover them with a dome? I really want to be successful since the plant isn't huge and I won't be able to cut off a lot of branches.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Since its closely related to brugs try that method on a couple of cuttings and see what happens.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

So what would "that" method be Kyle? I usually stick the brugs in water until they get those rootish bumps on them.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Sue ,did it bloom?Is that what color mine will be?How big does it need to be??????

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

CC - yours should be a shade of blue. I started that one from seeds. This one is a different one I got from Kartuz. It's called Wine Red but it's kinda dark pink-ish. I haven't got any blooms on the seed grown ones yet.

Did the girls make it to your place okay?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Sue, I took cuttings of three different ones and it does take a long time for them to root, especially the blue and purple one. The red rooted a lot quicker. I just took some cuttings, tip and otherwise, and stuck them in moist potting soil. Put them in the shade and started waiting. I'm sure it was at least 4 weeks for one color (Indigo) and Royal Blue took about two months to root. The red one took about two weeks, maybe three. Good luck. I thought I would really love this plant, but am not having a lot of bloom on them. The red one has some seed pods that I hope to catch when mature. I don't think I'll be saving mine over this year. I need more color in my beds and our season is so short and so hot that this just isn't a plant that does well here. Your picture is great!!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Brugie this one has been blooming constantly since I got it. I guess it likes Maine. I have it in a crock that has no drainage holes - just styrofoam peanuts in the bottom. It must like the wet soil. I spose it's not super showy plant like a brug but..... it's showier than MY brugs!! LOL!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Sue, mine dry out so quickly. Maybe I need to set them in a drip saucer and keep it more moist. I have nothing to lose, so I think I'll try it. Bet your brugs will be beautiful, just like everyone elses. I've never seen an ugly one yet. :-)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! I love the wine/magenta/fuchisa colored blooms.

I'm not familiar with this plant. Can someone tell me more about it and which nursery carries them? Would they do well in zone 7, humid hot summer and freezing temps. in the winter. Are they hardy or need some t.l.c.? Inquirying minds want to know :~) THANKS!!!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Shirley, I'd say they would not be hardy in your zone. However, you can take cuttings and hold them over for the winter. I just can't continue to keep everything I have as it makes our house seem very small in the winter months. Something has to go......

Shirley

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Winterizing your plants indoors helps everyone get through the "winter blues".

How big does the plant get and which nursery would you recommend that has it?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Kartuz has a good selection. That's where I got this one.
http://members.aol.com/kartuzexotics4/rareflwr.htm

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Kartuz is where I got mine too except for the red one that was a wonderful surprise from Kell.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Poppysue, I'm reading this thread and you say to stick the brug cuttings in water and they will set root..or have I misunderstood this...I thought Liz told me to pot on the cuttings???? Elaine

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I saw it and it was beauty-ful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.