Old wisteria

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

This bush is reported to be over 100 years old..in the spring its one huge mass of purple blooms....i hate it the rest of the year.
as you can see its in desperate need of a trimming, but its far enough away from everything else that it poses no threat.

Thumbnail by JustJen
Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

wish you had a picture of it when it is in bloom.
when is the right time to prune them, do youknow? I thought it was july, but would you believe mine is going thru a second blooming....I think I'll trim it back when it is done

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

the only time that ive found NOT to prune it is in the spring. 2 years ago bill thought he was helping and completely trimmed it back to the trunks. in doing that he cut off all the buds.
i have a couple of wayward blooms on it now, but it does its show in early spring, around march i think.
after looking at the pic i just took, i decided it needed a haircut so i've been out doing it. i will post a pic of the sad thing when im done, lol

Jen,
I cut mine back at least three times a month during the summer if not it will be taking over the woods. I have them places where they are not touching anything else. Here in South Mississippi the wisteria just loves our heat and humidity.

I'm sure your wisteria is a beautiful sight in the spring.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

the loppers i have didnt give it too good of a haircut, ive been neglecting the pruning of it, so bill is getting the chain saw out tomorrow.
come spring ill take a jillion pics. this past spring, i was working 2 jobs, so i missed the entire show. had that rhino virus so i couldnt smell it anyway. was very depressed.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh please do! I can't wait to see it bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.