Dioscorea sansibarensis

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I just got this tuber back on 6/18/02 and as of two days ago, this vine was 190 inches long and growing about 6 inches a day! The leaves are beautiful. I will have to see if I have any photos of it. Definitely grows like a weed, which I think it is from it's native Singapore.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Am I missing something here??? When does it get its leaves? Is this a vine? It looks like a pole.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, here's a pix with the leaves. Definitely a keeper.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

very pretty leaves. what kind of flower does it have?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Have never flowered it but it gets some interesting looking purple potatoes on the vine. I have only had this plant about 6 months & I am out of trades at this time. Used up all of my little potatoes.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

next purple potato...... can you post a picture?
thanks

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a purple potato picture. Mine aren't this big but similar, except for size.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have an air potato but my rock hard potatoes are brown. Had some really nice sized ones this year and smaller ones also. I love this plant. The large glossy leaves are so pretty.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

so you can eat the potatoes? and they grow in the air not the ground? I have never seen this before.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Dioscorea batatas (I think this is the one that grows wild in Florida), as with a good many of these vines, form the potatoes right on the vine where the leaves come out. Next time I go back to Florida, I'm gonna bring back a bucketfull of these for trading. LOLOLOLOL

Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Buttoneer I'll take you up on a trade offer if you ever get more of these curiosities! LOL. I just picked up a nice Dioscorea mexicana...it is an interesting plant that gets a lot of comments.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I am getting Dioscorea trifida.
Lets get a little "air potatoe" interest group going?
what you all think?

WE can trade and get info.
If interested let me know
Larry
you can get me at aol

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine didn't ever form potatoes last year. I'm not sure which one I have but the lady in Louisiana who sent them to me said they aren't hardy for her. When I went to dig them, they had already disappeared, so I hope they manage to come back next spring. If not, will someone trade me some for whatever survived the grasshoppers and drought last summer? Or wildflower seed? I don't have a list that is current, but will work on one before spring.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I can't find D. alata
and i know it's common in fla.
anyone out there have it???

aimee
write me and I will send you some of the tubers i found in Kinston,N.C. not sure of species yet
L

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

D bulbifera - http://plantsdatabase.com/go/32235/ is the one most common in Florida...We kill them by the bucketful, pull them by the dozens and still we have more. If anyone is looking for them I can probably still find some in my backyard...let me know. Seedlings available in the spring! LOL

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

You want D bulbifera? I have a large bucketful sitting outside. Yell if you want them. I am afraid they will grow right in the bucket and cover my house and I won't be able to get outside!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

floridian..I would love some seeds!!!! most unusual!!! Elaine, thanks

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 10a)

Could someone, please ,tell me how to plant the bulb???
Surface?? Deep twice the size?? Fertilize??
Thanks
Lucia

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Elaine, send me your address and a time that would be safe to send them!
Lucia, these just fall to the ground and sprout in the spring. Try burying it about half way into some soil nad keep it just barely moist, that should work

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Is that what is called air potato?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The ones I have are commonly called that...they look just like this but the leaves are a perfect heart shape

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

If anyone has extra seed or a baby of this way cool vine, I'd be interested in purchasing one. I love it!!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

It's a weed vine here in zone 8...Takes over the dog if they stand still long enough.. LOL
Larkie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Larkie! Slow dogs need to be careful!!
We'll all have seedlings very soon. I literally pull dozens of these up every time I walk through the yard in the spring. So if any one in the north wants them feel free to send an email to one of us!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

We still getting rid of these things? lol
I am thinking of doing air potato art, like kudzu art. Let it cover the car or my mother or something and taking pictures. Think we could get Dave to have a contest?

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I would love to try one of these, they are amazing! If anyone would be willing to send one, I'd be happy to send postage! Are the tubers edible?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Here are some of the tubers that I saved from my air potato vine this year. I've never had them grow this large in the past. A beautiful vine for full sun and it requires very little care. Just give it a drink now and then. A couple of these are starting to sprout, so I'll probably have to pot them up and then keep pinching to control them until I can set them out. Last year I started a dozen of them in the greenhouse and I had a hard time controling them. They do grow very fast.

Thumbnail by Brugie
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Hey Buttoneer,

That one is not in the plant database; maybe when you get time you could post it in there.

I would love to grow that one. The leaves are so beautiful!

arlene TLC

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't have any more potatoes to share, but this summer when it starts growing again, I hope to. Get back to me then. I am swapping only for this for something tropical because it's so rare.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Weeds or Floridian? Do either of you ladies have any more of the Air Potato Dioscorea bulbifera? If you do can I send a SASE? :-D

edited to say oopsie, I didn't realize how old this thread is/was! Can ya tell I was doing a search? :-o

This message was edited Jan 13, 2004 1:19 PM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh do I ever have these! Not to mention the ones I haven't found that will sprout in the spring. I pull dozens of seedlings every day then. I know these potatoes won't ship now, they'd freeze for sure. Drop me a note in the spring.
Stacey

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Stacey, I think if you mail them Priority mail they would be fine. I'm mailing some out tomorrow through regular USPO in bubble envelopes and I think they will be okay. If not, there will be a couple more people asking you for help. LOL!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I got one potato off my vine this year. It barley grew and as a matter a fact I forgot about it. It was in shade and I guess that was the problem. I planted the bud in a small pot and will set it out in more sun this year.....
I really like this it can cover an ugly tree in no time. But I guess it does need some sun.....
Dee

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

It cannot only cover an ugly tree, it can strangle it to death. Plus anything else it decides to attach itself to. lol

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ah Brugie, if I put these taters in bubble envelope it would look like a big tick! I walked the driveway again the other day picking some along the way...there are so dog-gone many of them! There are tons still hanging on dead vines. When I touch a vine they rain down to the ground. I'll have plenty if yours don't survive their trip.
Pins, you are so right, this is a terrible, albeit beautiful, vine in the south. I will only share them with folks up where it gets too cold for them to survive outdoors.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Guess what? I didn't get them mailed. I think the flu is finally passed and I am planning on going shopping and to the PO tomorrow.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well, Martin Luther King day had the PO closed, but they are in the mail now. Sorry it took so long, but you should get them soon now. Hope they will grow into great looking vines and produce lots of babies for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.