the vine Lenjo asked for. Distictis buccinatoria

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I planted this at work probably 8 years ago. It is amazingly beautiful. It has grown the entire length of the fence, out to the front yard and up a huge tree. This is late in the bloom cycle so it is not as floriferous as it usually is.

Thumbnail by Kell
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Kell, thank you , thank you this vine is so beautiful. It seems most of the vines I see in California are just so prolific and amazingly beautiful. I bet your season is pretty long. Is there any way to start this vine? I would love to have a start. Joann

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee JoAnn, I do not know but I can sure try. I have plenty of plant material to pick from. This one is sold in all the nurseries, even in a gallon. The purple flowered one is hard to find here in No Ca, it may be much easier in SO. Ca. It is not as heavy a bloomer as the red one. Here lots of Mexican restaurants have these red ones growing around them or over them and it really adds a festive air. The red one is a little too vigorus for my small yard but the purple one I can handle. I am growing the red one this year but I am training it to be a standard. I am going to go and try to take a picture of a purple one that I saw last month just covered in blooms. It was the first one I had seen of the purple one around here except for mine.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So Lenjo, which one did you want? The purple one or the red one? Wuld you rather wait till next year as it is so late this year??

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kelley,

is the lavender easy to propagate from cuttings? the flower sure is nice. are they prolific grower as well as bloomer?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.