it had a secret life!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I thought it was not blooming and then I stood on a chair and looked on top of my lathe on the porch and there were tons of blooms! It is a Distictis 'Rivers'.

Thumbnail by Kell
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Pretty color. Too bad the blooms are up where you can't see them. Better have a talk with that plant.....

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Shirley.....it is taking over my porch but only with the green, no flowers below!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow thats pretty ya'll are mean showing me all these things that would not be hardy here. :(

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Mystic, don't you think I need one of those in my Jungle House? Kell, what do I have that you need, lol?

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, Cala, I was thinking just exactly that. Kell, she sure has lots of nice things, don't you agree?

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Cala I know you need one of those in your Jungle house. lol Kell I just know she has something you need. lol

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It is truly a pretty one Cala and Aimee. I will try to root it for you. I actually have 3 of them. 1 I am trying to make into a standard. It is sdoing weel but no blooms on it yet. If I like something I stick everywhere even if it does not belong there! If you saw my little yard you would laugh. I have it way overplanted but it is chuck full of gaudy flowers!

I first saw this at Disneyland when my boy was 6. It covered an arbor and was amazingly full of bloooms. I just had to have it. Mine have never bloomed like that but I am happy for the few I get. They are even more cherished. I did see one a few weeks ago in my neighborhiood on a south side of a house that was incredible. I had to stop my car and stare until the lady came out and gave me the look!

cala, do you think I should do green growth in water? or woody in dirt?

(Zone 8a)

Don't send any to Aimee!!! She will kill it! LOL

Kell, is it a vine? I would use semi ripe cuttings in vermiculite.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Waaaaaah, imaseedpicker is picking on me! But the grasshoppers might indeed kill it. I am amazed there is anything green left with the way they munched away this year. Still looking for someone locally who has chickens big enough to eat them. And someone to help me turn the chicken house back right side up after the storm blew it over. That chicken house sat there for 55 or more years undisturbed until I wanted to use it.

Aimee, that sounds like my luck!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

definitely a vine! A beautiful vine! the blooms start a vivid purple with yellow throat then slowly change to a lavender.....so you have a plant with all different purple shades of colors on it...................... it really is great......... and the blooms are 3 inches pointing outward!

I can't wait to see it in person. It sounds beautiful!!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

That's going in the U-Haul too. So what time do you go to work?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Kell, Thanks so much for posting this, my sister lives in Berkeley about 8 blocks from the Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, I send her on missions often for me to search things out there and this is one of them. I have never seen a picture. It is gorgeous, if you have or ever see the other distictis, the orange and yellow please post that picture too, that is one awesome trumpet vine. I have a bignonia from BHN and I take it in every year, so far it isn't doing much, any suggestions as to what it needs? I first saw osteospermums, African daisy, down there a few years before they started showing up here. You can grow some neat things that are unique to the most of the rest of us. Where is San Leandro compared to the Bay area? Joann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.