Getting rid of trumpet vine

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5a)

Any suggestions how to get rid of well-established trumpet vine (trumpet creeper, Campsis radicans)?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

DH says moving is probably your best option! Seriously though, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. It is out of control in our backyard since it comes in from a wooded area behind us. Good luck!
There's a long discussion about this here: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/295073.html

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 21st 10:01 AM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

You might try some brush killer. I killed a big one last year with brush killer. Still have the runners to deal with, but the mower usually takes them off and they don't come up anymore during the summer.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I totally understand how you feel about your trumpet vine. I curse the day I planted it! Mine has never bloomed in the 8-10 yrs. since it has been in the ground.

I would suggest using Ortho's "Round Up", a highly potent weed & brush killer. However, be very careful when using it!!! Follow the instructions exactly! Apply it very carefully and then wait one week. You may need to apply it again. It will kill all the vines above the ground, but getting to the tap roots will take time. It might be springing up in your garden for a while. Just keep a sharp look out for it and apply "Round Up" as needed. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.