Native Dutchmans Pipe

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We've been going to Cherokee NF for 25 years and have been watching these grow to the tops of the trees. This tree was about 20 ft tall. I stood in the back of DH's truck to try to get a better shot. The buds are hanging down near the center of the photo, and are about 4 inches long. We saw several, but they aren't thugs like Kudzu or some of the other vines that have taken over our southern forests.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Calalily! great picture that brings the discussion of the Dutchman's Pipe on this forum together. I've got seedlings growing, and can't wait til they go into the ground. I have a place where vines haven't done too well and am hoping this plant will do OK.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I think layering would be the best method. Where the vines had fallen to the ground and leaves and soil washed over them, they had rooted. I didn't find any seedlings, but guess that's how they spread. The vines didn't seem to be harming the trees. No trees that had vines on them were dead or in decline. The vine climbs up sort of like a grapevine, loosely clinging to the tree.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Cala, glad to see you are back safely. Thanks for sharing this lovely photo with us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.