Sweet Peas

The sweet peas have really begun to get a little invasive. I try to dead head all the flowers but I guess some seeds have been flying around. I've filled two 30 gallon trash cans with all the sweet peas I've pulled up. I've tried to dig them up and give them to a friend but they didn't take. I went out tonite to cut them and can't reach the very top flowers - need to get the step stool. the good thing is they blossom till frost and the hummers seem to like them.

Thumbnail by elsie
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm going to have to make me something like this for some to grow up! I love them, but didn't have any luck with the annual ones this year. need to get my perennials started I guess! These are so pretty!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Elsie - is this perennial Sweet Pea? If you dig the plants when their little and get the whole root they seem to transplant Okay. That's the problem with them - they re-seed and have a big long tap root. I spose that's why they're so drought tolerant.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh tiG, here you go again!!! LOL

Poppysue - yes they are perennial. I guess I'll have to try digging them up again next spring. The problem is the ones I want to dig up are very close to the house so it's hard to get good leverage.

tiG - I could try to save you some seeds. I gave some seeds to two friends last summer and neither one ended up with sweet peas. I do think you have to plant them away from other plants, which of course I didn't do. Let me know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.