Tropicals: Nepenthes Coccinea pitcher plants

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This is nepenthes coccinea..from Malaysia...gets to be a real big plant and has really nice reddish pitchers...loves humidity and heat.

Thumbnail by Eclipse

Send it here...I'm sure it will do fine. :0)

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Thats so cool.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is really neat looking.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, and Cala's gonna die for this one!!!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

How very different! very unusual....

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I think it would do great here too. Does the pitcher hold water for the plant?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

busybee...yes it holds water that traps the insects.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Waaah, I want that one too!!! I have a question Eclipse. My red pitcher plant(a short variety, sarracenia purpurea, I bought it at a nursery)lost lots of it's pitchers, but new ones are just starting at the bottom. Is this normal? It stays moist but isn't underwater, is in bright filtered light and it's hot and humid here. I didn't see any kind of pests on it. I have a white one next to it and it's doing great.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Calalily I have problems growing the red tall pitchers too..they linger for a long time then usually die for me.They need nuetral or slightly acidic water for watering.our water is too high in PH for them.And yes you can have some cuttings later on..I have to cut back the large plants before fall. :-)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Thank you thank you.

Temple, TX(Zone 8a)

How hard is it to get Nepenthes Coccinea to germinate offspring? Is it true that sunlight will kill it? It will take any type of insects and/or mammals to digest in the pitchers?

Thanks,
tortuga121

Sabina, OH

My son just bought me a picture plant, "Nepenthes Coccinea" (a Father's Day gift). I need some help on how to care for this plant. The buckets look and feel kind of dry, but the main plant is still nice and green. It's in a hanging pot. Any ideas?

Lakeland, FL

hi all, i got one at the flower show here in lakeland, fla. this fall. the lady told me to set it in a shallow dish and to keep water in it. so far so good doing great. i will attempt to put in larger pot this spring. mine is the red short type. corky

Elkhart, IN

i just bought a pitcher plant a few days ago the babies are dying what can i do for it do you cut the dead pitcher off or just let them falloff

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I got a pitcher plant at the New Orleans Botanical Plant in February of this year. I bought the small one and it is now about 2 ft high. I also have some pitchers that are turning brown at the top and I believe it didn't get enough water all the way around. I just leave them on. People that I show it to like to see the contrast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.