SOLVED: mystery volunteer

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Any idea what this may be? I was cleaning out a perennial bed a few days ago and noticed it(no blooms then), so I potted it up. The flowers open during day and close at night...no fragrance.
Jean

Thumbnail by JJsgarden

I've got thousands of the same stuff growing all over our farm here. I can't wait to see what it is!

Dave

La Porte, IN(Zone 5a)

If it has very narrow , cylindrical, upright , grass like foliage, it's star of Bethlehem. If not ??? I'm zone 5, this isn't blooming yet here, but the foliage is up.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks like Star of Bethlehem to me also, I have thick clumps of leaves, but it blooms after all the other bulbs in my garden in WI. I gets thick clumps quickly, so plenty to spread around

Spreads around a lot, huh? Late bloomer eh? Yup, sounds like I have the Star of Bethlehem here.

I have over a million of these growing here (I am actually not exagerating - seriously)

Dave

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Star of Bethlemhem - the only bulb that propogates like a weed! The wonderful thing about them is that they bloom at a time when there is a kind of a pause, and the foliage disappears quickly. If you accidently dig them up and leave them on top of the ground, it doesn't seem to faze them in the least. Once you have them, you have them always. latin name Ornithagalum ombellatum.

ehrikon, Switzerland(Zone 6b)

I also think, it's ornithogallum umbellatum, (native in europa)
we call it here (translated) "Milk-star"

Star of Bethlehem, my nieghbours have loads of them, she calls them milk stars too.

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone! I believe you are right. Think I'll keep it potted for now.
Jean

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/harmfulplants/starofbethlehem.html

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Star of Bethlehem is one of the 5 flowers used in The Bach Rescue Remedy, developed by Edward Bach, MD... a Harley Street (London) physician. The main properties of Star of Bethlehem are to neutralize shock in any form. The tincture is made by collecting the dew off the petals into a sterile jar, early in the morning. I wouldn't advise collecting and making the tincture yourself unless that's your field. I DO advise a few drops of Rescue Remedy in the water used when transplanting, and you could perhaps collect dew from Star of Bethlehem for that purpose!
-darius

This message was edited Sunday, Apr 22nd 9:19 PM

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh no! I think I just mowed a bunch of this yesterday! I did leave some though. It reminded me of wild onion except no smell when crushed. Does this sound like star or bethlehem also? Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.