Another Verbascum

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Verbascum hybrida 'Banana Custard'

Thumbnail by golddog
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This one is really pretty too. Where do you order your seed from? I think I'd like to get started with these. Are they perennial onces established or what? Just beautiful.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I have been ordering from Thompson&Morgan and Chiltern Seed. Some are said to be perennial. When they are finished and the seed collected, I send them to the compost pile. So each year I start new plants under lights to go out by mid-May. A relative of Digitalis.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I think I'm going to give this plant a try. I do order from T&M, so if I can remember, they will be on my order for spring. I'm assuming that they don't re-seed then? I saw one that was peachy colored one time and thought I would really like it, but now I don't remember where I saw it.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Oooo I love verbascums! I have the v.olympicum starting to bloom now. My trouble is a little weevil that destroys them and any seeds they'll produce. I hope I've won the battle this year since I haven't seen any for a couple of weeks.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I like all of these too. They seed around in my garden. I have thapsus (one of our natives) popping up in my garden all the time. Have grown chaixii album, which seemed to struggle a bit, but phoeniceum seeds around well, in a lovely range of colours. I think 'Cotswold Queen' is peachy brugie.

That's a wonderful photo golddog, and what a rich yellow!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi philomel, haven't heard of 'Cotswold Queen'. I guess peachy brugie means a favorite?:) Any thoughts on acquiring seed of V. 'Cotswold Queen'?

I was answering Brugie when she said there is a peachy coloured one she liked. Got a feeling it may be one that has to be propogated as a plant, not from seed. And it's described as a 'short-lived perennial'. There must be some peach ones from seed i should think, but don't know off hand.
Sorry about that - was a bit ambiguous wasn't it golddog? Gotta laugh LOL

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Just trying to stay up on the latest lingo, philomel, that's all!

;-)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Verbascum 'Southern Charm' has been perennial for me, going on the third year, as well as reseeding. I'll send you one this fall, or would you prefer to try it in springtime?

Evelyn

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, thank you! The fall would be nice.

Would you be interested in?

V. 'Banana Custard'
V. 'Snow Maiden'
V chaixii 'Album'
or
Coleus 'Dada Daddy'http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=111285

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I see you already have quite a few verbascum already. Are they perennial for you?

Maybe they call them 'Southern Charm' because they are not hardy?? I got them from Bluestone Perennials. I will look for their catalog and see what their description says about hardiness.

Will keep in touch and let you know.

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

very pretty yellow color. :)

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Verbascam "Southern Charm" has been a perennial in my garden for the last 3 years and even though I'm in British Columbia, Canada we are in zone 8a.

The only problem I find is that unless I stake the flowers they all fall alll over the place. What is everyone's secret, just staking them?

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

No staking here. Just full sun, good drainage, and no fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.