campanula carpatica

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

a repeat flowering for me, i got it for 50p at homebase in the spring after it had flowered, and its bloomed again! does it usually do this, or is it just because of our crazy weather?

Thumbnail by Lilith
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I love that campanula, but I kill it!! Actually I think it's the humidity here, plus the nights are so warm.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lilith: I've grown carpathian bellflowers, particularly the blue ane white clips, and the petals don't look like this Are you sure that's a carpatica?

The petals look more like Campanula poscharskyana. Here's the Googles image site for carpatica: http://images.google.com/images?q=Campanula+carpatica&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Here's the Googles site for poscharskyana: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Campanula+poscharskyana&btnG=Google+Search

I bought a poscharskyana this spring, and I'm quite impressed with it. It would be a great rock garden plant, or even in a hanging basket. I've heard it referred to as a "Serbian Bellflower".

i think you're right. they were labelled as carpatica from the garden centre... they're often wrong!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

No, I think you have got the un-cultivated carpatica! My grandma has got the big flowered... the real carpatica is small and not tall like the new varieties.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Evert: The flower is quite different, as well. Lilith's blooms are star-like, rather than bell shaped. I still think it's the Serbian bellflower. It's sure a beauty, whatever the case!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Very pretty flowers. I now have some seeds from a trade. Anyone know how to start and when to start?

I think it never gets cold there so yo ucan sow them whenever you want.. except rainy season if you leave the little plants outside ;)

well.. whatever it is, i like it ;D

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't care what one is Lilith, it's a wee cracker.

Wintermoor

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks Evert. It's the rainy season here at present.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Evert. Those are some great ID pics to choose from. I can concede that the Campanula portenschlagiana looks more like it than the carpatica... but I still think it could be the Serbian bellflower. Maybe Lilith will look at the hyperlinks & solve the mystery for us.

yeah, think it's that Campanula portenschlagiana, thanks for the links evert

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.