Dutchman's Pipe?

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Anyone growing the Dutchman's pipe (Aristolochia macrophylla)? Is it worth growing? Can it be a thug? What zones?

I was given seed with a plant trade and now I have 12 in the basement growing fast. I am wondering where they should go. Or should I compost them?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Golddog, is that the little flowered one? I have it in the ground here, it's hardy, hasn't taken over yet.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

BrugNanny gave me one that has variegated leaves and I've got buds now, but don't know what to expect. How cold hardy is it Susie?

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 10th 11:34 PM

We have mild winters usually, but this winter it was in the upper teens for a week and it still survived.
Brugnanny huh?? I'll have to hit her up for a cutting. Azalea gave me cuttings for the Calico one. It's been rooting since March and I think it may finally have a teeny root on it.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I think it gets very large leaves, and twines. An old fashion vine making a comeback. I looked for this plant recently and was told it was sold out everywhere. I need something that is fast and big-leaved.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I will have several for trade by September.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I am just a tad envious of your starts. I have wanted to grow this for ages. It so reminds me of the architectural carvings all over New Orleans. I saw some plants here in spring, and they were gorgeous. I wouldn't care if it did decide to be a bit invasive. They were a little pricey for grasshopper food, which is what my garden has become.

Aimee, I have an unknown one from seed. I don't which one it is, got the seed in a trade. I can send it to you. BTW, Incence bloomed today, it's beautiful!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cala, my DP bloomed today and the bloom is 1 to 1-1/2 inches long. Cute, but I'm ordering one with the big bloom next spring. Logee's has some that are too cool.

S.

Brugie, I saw those!! I gotta have at least one or two.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I need some advise.... I just got 3 dutchman's pipes in 4 in pots. I am in zone 5, will they survive out side in winter? and can I plant them in a large pot, like one on each side of an arch?

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I'm guilty of growing this.YIKES!!!!!!! is it a thug..that's putting it mildly! golddog.....let's see* if you had a contest between Golden Hops and this one..this one would come across the finish line waaaayyyyyyyy ahhhhhead! It is very striking(the golden foliage)(I've yet to see flowers) anyhow, for fast coverage this is the one! Elaine

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

1601, don't tell me that. I just traded off 2 Japanese climbing Hydrangeas. And have started the golden hops on each side of an arbor. I think I am in trouble!

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 14th 9:49 PM

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I'm growing one which an old lady gave it to me. A seed pod has formed, the first one. I must remove it before it bursts open and has seeds all around. I should take Elaine's warning signal!

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Aristolochia macrophylla (pipe vine) is the host plant for the pipevine swallow-tail butterfly. Without the vine, the butterfly will go away! I'm growing it in Germantown (Memphis)
Tennessee zone 7b. It's hardy through zone 4. It's not a thug here. It's grown about 8 feet down a chain link fence in four months.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

is there a difference in the leaves between the large flowered and the small flowered one? I have one with buds, and don't know which it is. Would love to know ahead of time if possible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.