Virginia Creeper

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have experience growing Virginia Creeper in the High desert of southern California? We have a block wall that is rather stark and unattractive. I would like to cover it with some kind of perenial vine. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if Virginia Creeper can take the intense heat and the extreme cold we sometimes have.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi forgetmenot, my experience with virginia creeper is that it is very vigorous, would probably do fine where you are at, I'm zone 8 too.,the kind I have climbs by these little suction disks so it would do great on a wall. Look in the Sunset western garden book for good info. But beware they're quite vigorous probably comparable to wisteria.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I'm on the border of 5a/6b and I have it completely covering my entire front porch!I'm sure it could take the cold,how much heat it could take(on a prolonged basis),that I have no experience with.I would imagine that a vine that is watered alot(if at all possible)to build up its rootstock would have a better chance.

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm in zone 7b and we can't run it off with napalm or roundup. If it gets started it should do fine. It's not that much of a thug, but why not a prettier vine???

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for the information.I don't know why but I haven't been getting a notice of any of the of the replies to my posts. I'd been wondering why and just checked in. can you suggest a prettier vine. I think it's quite lovely in the fall. I'm open to suggestions. I've had experience with Wisteria...We cut it to the ground and tried to get rid of the roots, as it was tearing our patio cover away from the house. It came back stronger than ever. It was a constant battle to keep it under control. But, was it ever beautiful. I finally gave up and learned to live with it. Please don't tell me virginia creeper is going to be a another battle for possession of the property as my husband just ordered a slew of them. Oh woe....

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

It's not nearly as destructive as wisteria. Have you considered pyracantha??? It does great and is morebeautiful than virginia creeper. It also should do very well in your zone 8, as it does fine both here (7b) and in the Arizona desert area.

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Yes, we do have Pyracantha, but we wanted something that would cover a block wall with abandon and be pretty to boot. It would be more a back ground for the other plantings. Thank you bcarrl, I'm glad to know it won't be as rambunctious as the Wisteria....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.