New Bird Species Migration

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We see lots of migrating birds up here in the cool country. Most of them are escaping those high summer temps in the lower 48 states.

Imagine my surprise when I saw these Floridian beauties in my neighbor's yard! Once the word gets out, all the birds will be vacationing in Alaska!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

LOLOL, better get into the B&B business quick!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think a B&B for birds would have to be an N&B...Nest & Birdseed. Flamingos must be fish eaters, and we have plenty of those around here. They could go down to the fish cleaning station at the harbor and duke it out with the seagulls for scraps. However, I think they may have trouble balancing elegantly on one leg with some of the winds that blow along the bay!

Who would have thunk it? Maybe I should go to the N&B to escape the heat.

The spp of flamingo i've come across before don't eat fish in the normal sense, they filter mud through bristles in their bills, to find tiny invertebrates.

However the spp you have found may have different nutritional requirements, along with a more hopping action LOL
;-)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It would be a sight to see... hunger crazed flamingos sloshing around in salmon spawning creeks, ripping the poor old spent hooknosed fish with their mud filtering beaks. Next would come the live traps, the plane ride home to Florida... another tragic imbalance in nature.

LOL Your birdwatchers flew home with the migrants and these birds are going home by plane!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Isn't that the way they got here?

You're right (as ever LOL)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.