Pink Pyrola

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Pink Pyrola, also known as Pink Wintergreen, (Pyrola asarifolia ssp. asarifolia [ssp. purpurea]) grows along the woodland perimeter of my yard. I've transplanted some to one of my rockbeds where it grows happily.

The stems grow mainly underground, and the shiny, dark-green basal leaves are roundish with a thick leathery texture. In late June or early July, pink bell-like flowers appear on straight stalks.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What a lovely photo. I'm not familiar with this family. I looked it up and found we have native spp, but all in the north and, i suspect, acid loving.
Thanks for showing this - i love learning about new flowers!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

There are also a couple other varieties up here in Alaska, I think. They also occur in some of our northern states and Canada. I think they prefer the cool temps. This is one of those natural ground covers you don't mind leaving in the beds. It's not overly invasive, and easy to control.

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

I had just posted the white variety on the identification forum because I didn't know what it was. Found it growing wild in the woods on the side of the horse trail I used to ride, and dug some up to bring home because I thought it was interesting. Its doing great in my wildflower garden!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I've been told there is a variety on the east coast. I think it works very well in a rock garden, and it is evergreen, so it always looks good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.