Herbs are Great for Xeriscaping

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Heres another tip . Herbs do great in dry conditions. Oregano, Sage, Chives, Thyme of coarse, Rosemary . And there are so many different kinds. They take heat.
You can let them go dry.Once established. Most varieties. Rabbits hate them.
There are so many kinds! My sister in law, has a formal garden of them as ornamentals, hedges , for flowers and so on. I just traded for creeping thymes for thyme lawns.Bought and upright Rosemary. I have a creeping rosemary,(VERY drought resistant) Lemon Thyme , Silver Thyme. And Lavendars do so well! I have researched some seed sources I will post here in this forum later.
Also, you can make herb wreaths for Christmas! They are wonderful.Smell great. You hang them in your kitchen and use them in cooking or just keep them to look at they are great. It is a great Xeriscaping technique.

Cedar Rapids, IA

Rabbits Hate Them? I was planning to put creeping thyme in between the cracks on our patio and a few plants in the garden, but if the rabbits hate them I will be adding more. Much more!

Thanks for the information.

Lancaster, CA

Absolutely true, although in my desert clime they benefit from afternoon shade to be REALLY drought tolerant. Add Santolina, germander and the artemisias to the list....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.