pine trees. ivy. what else ???

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

My neighbor's ancient pines overhang much of my yard, thus my soil must be quite acidic...

I'm new at this so if this question seems dumb, forgive my lack of knowledge...

What grows in pine tree shade? Can I fix the acidity of the soil somehow? If I do that will the bushels and bushels of ivy die out?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Janie
<}}}><

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Janiejoy - Do you want the bushels of ivy to die out??? I had a similar problem but in my own yard. We have lots of pine trees here in Ga and very acid, clay soil. We worked for months pulling out all that ivy that was climbing the pine trees and any thing in it's path. We then had about 24 trees removed, leaving only Dogwoods, Oaks and a few hickorys. So I still have plenty of shade where I grow many hostas, ferns, azaleas and Rhodis. I love my shade garden - much more interesting than all that ivy.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Azalea.... no way I can get rid of the neighbor's pines but I CAN get rid of the ivy... going to hire someone to clear that back part of the yard so I can start on the little serene escape area I'd like to make back in those trees.... a little patio with a roof on it and a bench or table and chairs or swing... a place to read my Bible or pray or talk with a close friend or cuddle with my hubby on a lovely summer night... I have lots of dreams though... and not so much get up and go nowadays. Hoping the coral calcium I am taking will help me get better so I can get a lot of stuff done myself.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Janiejoy, I hope you take some before and after pictures, this sounds like a neat project, and I hope you feel better real soon so you can help make that dream come true. Begonias might be another flower that will brighten up the shade.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's my unasked for two cents ;~)

Based upon my own experience, I would invest in a soil sample chemical analysis prior to beginning on a program of ammending your soil and extensive investment in plantings.

The real truth is that you do not know the condition of your soil, its chemical constituants, it's electrical conductivity, pH, cation exchange potential, etc.

Spending $50 ~ $75 dollars to get such an analysis will let you know what is in your soil AND help you design a program of ammending your soil to the desired composition to grow things you wish to have in your garden under optimum soil conditions.

Just a thought.

Adam.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Adam,

Great idea, now where would I find someone to do this for us?

Spring is just around the corner!

Thanks
Janie

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Because I have in house lab talent, I was able to do this on my own.

However, Pleasant Valley Farm (you will see them in the Watchdog), offers this service.

Be sure to get the FULL analysis, that includes micronutrients, AND the booklet. The booklet is essential, as it helps you interpret the results and gives guidelines on how to ammend the soil based on the current conditions.

After you have had this done and have your results in hand, I will be pleased to exchange ideas with you on how to optimize our soils.

Adam.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.