SOLVED: Another mystery ...

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The first year we moved here there was a huge pine tree in this spot. After it was blown down in a storm (landed on the roof ) These sticks with leaves sprouted up, I kept cutting them to the ground for a couple of years but this year ot formed flower buds and I got one very lovely yellow blossom befor it frosted and no more blossoms came out. Now it has started leafing out. Does anyone have any ideea what it might be?

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It very well could be forsythia (but I don't know who Sythia is, so you can keep it!).

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you think so? I have seen pictures of

forsythia but they are too small to see what the individual leaves and flowers look like. I think I will let it grow this year and see what happens.

ehrikon, Switzerland(Zone 6b)

forsythia for sure.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Don't cut it back this year - forsythia blossom on second and third year wood. When you do prune wait until just after it blossoms, the buds for next year form during the summer. Let us see it next spring - all yellow and gorgeously sunny.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

YEP! Forsythia. Now it's up to you to find out which strain :-}

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks all! I will leave the poor thing alone and see what next year brings! In the meantime I guess I better learn a little about Forsythia! I think it gets bretty large so need to decide if it stays put or if I should try to move it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.