I remember once.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

in 1967, my Dad took me to an England-Scotland football (soccer) international game at Wembley Stadium. England had won the World Cup the year before (8 months previous, to be correct), and we had to eat very humble pie since then.
We are nevertheless, a 'never-say-die' people, and on the train down to London, we were sitting in a compartment with 4 football fans from the Isle of Skye. After a wee while, of course the older men got chatting away about who would play etc, and the banter was electrifying.
About 2 o'clock in the morning, (the train took 9 hours from Glasgow to London), one of the Islanders gave EVERYONE (yes, even me) a glass out of his seemingly never-ending whisky bottle, (it was his 4th.) and said:
"To us, Gentlemen. Whatever happens at this game, we will return proud to be Scottish, because we are the winners in the game of life. Let us think of our poor opponents, when they waken up..... they'll STILL be English"

Bye the way, Scotland won the game, and the cry in London for days afterwards was "World Champions My Arse" lol

Wintermoor

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!