SOLVED: Is this Bloodroot?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

The book I have does not show the leaf very well, but I think this is Bloodroot. Does anyone know for sure?

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Tilton, NH(Zone 4a)

Yes, it is bloodroot!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

definitely

Cedar Rapids, IA

Definitely bloodroot. The plant blooms on top of the unfurled leaves. Always the first plant to bloom in my shade bed.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Happy Gardner,
Since you have this in your Shade Garden maybe you can give me some advice. I would like to start a shade garden up by the house with plants from the woods.
Will Bloodroot transplant easily? If so, how much should I move to have a nice "bunch". (Does it spread a lot so just a couple will do?)
Grateful for your help,
Kathy

La Porte, IN(Zone 5a)

Patty,
What zone are you in? In zone 5 right now Rue anemone and false rue anemone are blooming. The flowers are similar to bloodroot, only much smaller. The foliage is deeply serrated, they spread freely. Hope this helps, tish

Cedar Rapids, IA

My bloodroot transplanted easily. My shade bed is clay and very wet due to an underground stream. My bloodroot has not spread a lot and I am sure this is due to the clay. When I put a woodland plant into the bed I dig a hole the size I want the plant to fill in. Then I fill the hole with rich compost before I plant. I think the bloodroot would spread a lot if planted in the right place. The blooms come quickly and disappear just as quick. I would put in a clump about the size of a dinner plate. If you are doing more than one clump, I would probably make the clumps smaller. Maybe the size of a bread plate.

I enjoy my plants because they are always the first blooms each spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.