nasturtium majus empress of india

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

the colours of this one are so vivid, anyone else grow this one?

Thumbnail by Lilith

I just planted some of those this year in a pot,but mine don't look as good as yours. My leaves are turning yellow;not a pretty site to say the least. Only had one bloom so far.
Yours are very pretty and nice and healthy

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

CoCo, I was wondering what is with mine too. I am getting a few blooms. I love the color of yours Lilith! Can you give us tips?

Another "nasty fan" lol,this is my favorite too' Great pic'

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i think the huge amounts of rain have helped over here, other than that i havn't fed them (you're supposed to starve them or they'll just produce lots of nice leaves). they get full sun part of the day.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I had a Tropaeolum like that last year but I grow it from seed mixture labelled Glorious Gleam mix.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Nastutiums prefer a cooler temperature, and with all the heat, they're progress is very slow. If they survive until fall, you will see another flush of bloom.

"eyes"

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I love the foliage on the Empress. We have cool summers, so nasties do quite well here. I grow several types: Gleam Mix, Dwarf Jewel Mix, Peach Melba, Tip Top Mahogany, Tall Trailing, Alaska, and the Empress of India. I also grow the Canary Bird Vine, a close relative. Since they bloom rather late in our season, I like to mix them together for all the interesting leaf colors. The Empress's dark green leaves with a reddish edging, the Mahogany's lime green leaves, and the Alaska's marbled green and white.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I grow this one too Lilith and it looks great. Another favoutite is Out of Africa. Similar flower but stunningly variegated leaves that just get more vivid with age! (rather like me really)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

psilo: I've never tried the Out of Apricas. They always seemed quite similar to the Alaskans. Are they only one flower color? I thought the difference might be in their trailing habits. The Alaska tends to bush rather than trail.

Edited.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2005 12:42 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

No, bitty1, but they sound beautiful. Can you get a picture of them and post it?

Edited

This message was edited Jul 2, 2005 12:43 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll be looking forward to it, bitty1!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.