Potting soil recipes

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Let's share our soil recipes...tell what you use each recipe for if not general use soil.

Fort Collins, CO(Zone 5a)

<< Let's share our soil recipes...tell what you use each recipe for >>

I have a neat little succulent book that includes specialized recipes for crassula, kalanchoe, echeveria, euphorbia, aloe, gasteria, sansevieria, ceropegia, hoya, stapelia, lithops, and agave.

For example, here's the recipe for crassulas: one-fourth potting soil, one-fourth peat moss, and one-fourth coarse sand. To a gallon of this mix, add one pint of small gravel or crushed brick, one-fourth cup bone meal, and one-fourth cup agricultural lime. That soil should give good, slow, sturdy growth. For faster growth, add an extra portion of peat moss and double the lime and bone meal recommendation. The author notes that the first mix is better for plants to be trained into bonsai shapes.

When I had a greenhouse with an attached potting room, thus plenty of room for storage, I actually mixed these specialized soils. Now, with a few shelves in an overstuffed garage for storage, I buy commercial cacti/succulent soils -- Crump or Scott's -- and amend them a tad with a good loamy commercial potting mix and some sand. Most houseplants don't seem to mind the addition of a little crushed agricultural charcoal.

If anyone is curious about mixes for the other succulents mentioned above, please holler and I'll post them.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I use a five gallon bucket as my 'part'

Two parts peat
one part compost
one part perlite
1 cup lime

My plants love it and are really growing great guns

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think it's that "C" word that gives it that extra kick!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL! it looks and feels like promix. I've been experimenting and with this one for a while. Think I had it down unless someone tells me different!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.