lillies of the valley out of control

My lillies of the valley are everywhere! How do I get rid of them where I don't want them, and how do I contain them where I do? I tried a 4inch wide strip of plastic; it wasn't especially effective, and its difficult to use where there are lots of roots and huge stones. All suggestions are appreciated.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Offer them as a trade for something that you do want. There might be someone who is looking for these lilies and would love to trade with you. Sorry that is my only suggestion, b/c that is what I do with all the plants I have that tend to get out of control.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I agree with MB, also if you keep digging them up, the spreading slows down-anyway that is what I found. A lot of people are looking for them for trade, or put up a sign at the grocery/laundramat etc. I put bags of daylilies and spiderwort across the road with a free sign and planting instructions. They were gone in a few hours and I live on a dead end street. I would not do that now, as we are in the 90's and humid. Retirement centers or churches or neighborhood centers might also be interested.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

I wish I had that problem, doverdoe. I've planted them several times and they don't take hold.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I started out with like 5 sprigs of them and whamo!!!! there were everywhere. I have been slowly pulling them out and passing them on. They don;t want to let go of the earth!!! I understand what you are going through

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

I'll help you for postage! Send mail if you want to take me up on my offer!

swoznick

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I've planted a bunch of them, but only a few have survived. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's the heat down here...don't know.

Yep, I agree, offer them for trade.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

A neighbor next door where I used to live had a patch by her garage... and they spread so much they even came up through the asphalt in the driveway!

However, I'd like some, if you want to trade, or I'll be glad to send postage. I am trying to get a woodland shade garden going and can use a bunch.

I would be intereested in some also

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I can't keep them alive... I guess I'm not alone!

Stowe, VT

Lily of the Valley are prized by florists, especially because of their use in bridal bouquets. A friend of mine actually sold a bunch of them cut to one of the local florists who desperately needed them. They're best grown under a shady tree, away from other plants. Mine aren't getting too crazy yet... only their 3rd yr (started off w/ 1), but when they do, I'll transplant under a lonely pine I have. I do hear that they've got very deep root systems that are hard to eradicate, so good luck!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Do they seed?
If they do I would love a trade.
cristina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.