Blush Susie starting to bloom.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This is the new thunbergia that I started from T&M seed. I sure hope I'll get seed from it to share with people. I'm sure it will bloom heavier as time goes on.

The thread title should have said Blushing instead of Blush. Also forgot to mention that there might be one other color, but I only got three seeds to germinate out of eight.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 28th 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by Brugie
Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Very nice and healthy looking.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Tim, I'm just waiting for the big burst of bloom now.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

very nice Shirley. hope u get all the blooms u wanted.i totally agree with Tim ... they are very healthy!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Shirley, I wish the cutting you sent me had lived - now I am REALLY jealous! LOL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Kay, don't be jealous. That had to be a different type plant. If I get seeds from this one, I'll post and give some of them to you guys who are interested. Hope I get tons of them.

Do you remember which one I sent you and what it was supposed to look like? I know I sent allamanda cuttings, but what was the other.....Battiscombie maybe? I finally know how to make some of them grow. Will probably start some more this summer.

Later......

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Brugie, add me to your list and you have got to move down here. Of course all of your flowers will have to move too.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

thats so pretty!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Shirley, I also started this from seed. I think I accidently sent it to someone. I am so.....bummed about that. Yours is gorgeous.

Patricia

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone. Just cross your fingers that it will put out bunches of seeds.

S.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love it. Is the usual color of thunbergia yellow?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

There is a mix of colors that has yellow, orange, and white in it. That is what I've had for the last couple of years, but when I saw this one, I had to try them. Just thought they were kinda pretty.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Very nice Brugie!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Shirley, I looked the cutting name up and it was chocolate something or other.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

It was Chocolate Cherry Allamanda. Not the easiest one to root, but I'll give it a try when my plant gets bigger.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Brugie.........what do you do with your allamandas in the winter?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Kell, they have to come into the house. That is why I have to get some light up in the basement. Can't handle all those plants around me 12 months out of the year.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Oh I would love to try to root a cutting from the blushing susie!!! (hint hint...LOL)

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

ditto what I said up there

This message was edited Friday, Jul 5th 12:37 AM

Brugie,
you were lucky to get 3 seeds to germinte. I only got one to germinate and have one plant that is only about 6" tall. Summer just won't be long enough to help me collect seed. I'll drag it into the greenhouse, though and see what I can do. I was very disapointed in the germination, but am nursing my one and only. Not a big fan of T&M but they do have a nice catalog...

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've enjoyed gaining information from the catalog and sometimes just have to order something. Had good luck with some of their onion seeds this year. My Blushing Susie is over the top of the two 4 ft. bamboo U's that I put together and reaching out from all kinds of places, but it, or the three of them, are not prolific bloomers like the regular mix of black eyed Susans. So far, none of the blooms have produced a seed pod, but it seems like the others didn't do that until it got closer to fall last year.
Maybe I'll be lucky and have plenty of seed. I've had poor germination from other seed I've purchased there too. They are a last resort type of place for me to go.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hey everyone, bad news!! We had three days of rain and cold weather a couple of weeks ago or so and this little plant was too wet and cold for too long. A very small part of it is still fairly green, but with the near 100 degree temps, it is very stressed. Don't count on any seed from this one this year. I'm sorry, but don't know what I can do to help this baby recover. I'll get more seeds next year and try again. I do like the colors.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I just hope it revives and gives you some enjoyment!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

oh..........so sad!! but that is what makes our successes so fantastic and so cherished........... disaster can strike at any time..................

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Brugie I feel for you. I was just getting ready to suggest that you try rooting a cutting. Wonder if that variety is just more finiky than the others?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I might try the cuttings. Sure can't hurt at this point.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.