Annuals: talk about sun coleus

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Cause I sure do like my sun coleus. I have lots of different colors, and I had no idea they would be so pretty , hardy, colorful, care free as they are. A good addition to my garden; gonna make sure I have some every year.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Roz, save some seed from them. I got seed from Cala and it grew really well. I love them too. A couple of years ago you couldn't have got me interested in them at all, but now they are one of my favorites. I'm planning on letting mine seed some toward fall and will probably keep a cutting or two as well. I don't have a lot of kinds, maybe close to ten, but they are just as you say. I especially like the care free part.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Brugie, what do I do just let the blooms go to seed? Would you rather have cuttings?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm going to let mine go to seed later before frost. Cala could tell us better just how to do it and when to pick. I'll be taking some cuttings too, in case I miss the seed. So far, only one of mine has put on a bloom and I pinched it off so the plant would continue growing and bushing. How many kinds do you have? Wish I knew the names of mine, but I don't. I know I had a couple from Cala's seed that our greenhouse didn't carry.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Brugie, I think one is called harlequin and one is called Mardi Gras and the other three I just don't know. I will surely save you some seeds, with a description of the plant rather than the name. Seems there are so many new ones this year. I really like a yellow - pink one I have.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Have to say I've never seen a sun lover that I didn't like. I'll save you some seed or take some cuttings for you, whichever you prefer. Will wait until this heat wave is past though. I'm doing a bunch of brug cuttings now and it is just a little too hot. I'm sure they will root, but they are a little stressed for sure.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I let them bloom in late summer. When the flowers turn from blue to a dry brownish color, I just grasp the stems between my fingers and the palm of my hand, starting at the bottom and going up. You will end up with chaff and seeds, a seive works great to separate them. The seeds are tiny, shiny black and need to be sown on top of the soil.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cala, I knew you could explain how to do this.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi Cala, Thanks for the infor. The sun coleus has really been good this year; actually this is the first year I really tried it as I never thought it would do well in hot sun, but it has been great. I understand coleus in the greenhouse gets lots of bugs, so i'll save some seeds for Brugie and some for me too.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I got a new coleus this year called whil-i-gig. The leaves or sort of roundish with edges that look like someone took a pinking sheers to it, saw tooth. I almost lost my favorite over the winter. It's got a tiny leaf that is in the shape of a duck's foot. I am babying it along.
I haven't ever let mine go to seed cause I am always breaking them off to make starts.
I would love some seeds, or to trade later in the summer.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I hope to save seeds from all of mine, I've been collecting them everywhere I go. keep our fingers crossed! I started some bought ones from seed this year, and they are doing great!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I think they are so easy to grow and easy to take starts of . I love something so beautiful, with such diversity that is so easy to propagate!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

glasshouse works in Ohio has tons of these and show pics of each on their online catalog :-)

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Mine are a burgandy and pink Combination, and I difinitely want to save the seed for next year. I would love to see other color combinations too.

"eyes"

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Kyle, I'm gonna get you!!! I have started a collection of coleus, but had no idea there were so many new hybrids!!! I'm totally hooked. I know where my birthday money will go!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Kyle.........can you give us a hyperlink........google search shows thousands of entries under that name.

"eyes"

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

www.glasshouseworks.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.