Question

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Has anyone ever tried to bonsai a china doll plant? A friend of mine has one and it's about 3 feet tall and has leaves only on the top half, looking like a small tree. I thought if it was possible, you could shape it to look like a bonsai. Possible????
Thanks

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

What is a China doll plant? What is the trunk diameter? A 3 feet tall bonsai needs to have a huge trunk. Does it look like a tree in its current state?

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Tim,
It really isn't a tree-type plant. It is just a pretty foliage plant, but my friends is about three feet tall and the diameter of the stems is about a half inch. I don't really know how big they can get, but I thought that if I pruned the branches somewhat, it might look like a bonsai. It does look like a small tree with three trunks. The stems are quite woody, so I figured I might try it, just to see how it looks.
What do you think?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Tim ... here is a url for China doll plant ... http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/radermacherasin.html HTH ... ma vie

Amsterdam, Netherlands(Zone 9b)

It should be noted that all growing plants may/can be used as bonsai material. Particularly any of the vine species, honeysuckle, ivy, are two frquently used that spring to mind. Excellent styles to be consider for such plants are Literati, Cascade, Semicascade, and of course accent plantings.

Tho' I have never heard of the China doll plant, and after having looked at the picture so readilly available by courtesy of MaVieRose, [I thank you for that].

I can't see why it shouldn't be possible. Also brings to my mind the CASTANOSPERNUM AUSTRALE - Australian Black-bean plant, which is an extremely easy indoor plant.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Ozzer, it is always a pleasure to give a helping hand :).

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

If it looks anything like http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/38219/ then it would make a great bonsai.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.