Braken New Forest

Here is the promised pic of Braken. All the forest floor green you can see is this plant.

Thumbnail by Baa
Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

Hmmmm, more like invaded ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

My goodness, Baa, I can see from your postings that you have reason to be dubious about bringing bracken into the yard! It's a far cry from our fairy like little bracken. I'm impressed about the age of yours. It seems everything in England is drenched in history. Over here, we're thrilled to find an old pop can in the dirt that predates the poptops!

Technically the New Forest is ... new, it was planted 900 years ago and has had a special status for much of that time as royal hunting grounds. The majority of the land is moor and heath rather than forest. Sometimes when you are out there alone you can feel the weight of the 900 years, I reckon because people have managed it for all of it's life.

The braken here is terrible, many parts of the forest you can't walk during summer because it's everywhere, even encroaching on the dry heaths.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This bracken talkin' is very interesting, Baa, not to mention the "New" 900 year old forest! I guess it's a good argument for nobility.. had the common folks owned it, it probably would have been logged off and have fast food places on it by now!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

LOL Weez
Yes, bracken can be more than a little bit of a problem.
I have one site in Surrey where we put up dormouse boxes before the bracken growing season. Now we have to almost navigate by compass between boxes and it takes ages to wade throught the bracken which is well over our heads.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Over your heads! Yes, definitely different than our little delicate variety!

A trek through Braken makes you feel like Alice in Wonderland in late Summer LOL. Was it the mushrooms or the cakes that made her small?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Or was it the stuff in the little bottles?
Whatever, that's JUST what it feels like LOLOL Baa

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

"One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small, but the one that Mother give you won't do anything at all. Go ask Alice... (Jefferson Airplane-White Rabbit).

Stuff in bottles and pills ... did I just step back into the 60's and 70's here LOL. Most definitely a weird book and well before it's time!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Could you imagine if that poor boy had lived during the 1960's? He'd never have made it out alive, but the stories would have been interesting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.