Drought 2001?

(Zone 9a)

I wonder if we're beginning another year of drought here in the South. I'm already having to water my plants. No appreciable rain where I live for about 3 weeks now. The ground (clay) is beginning to show cracks. Last 3 years have been so dry, the cracks in the ground were sometimes 2 feet deep! Trying to water in those conditions is a waste of time...and water.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It is also very dry in the northwest. My ground cracks too. I am scaling way back on the size of the vegie garden this year. We have about 1/3 the amount of irrigation water and this will be gone soon. I will try to keep the berry patch from dying, and even that will be a challenge I think.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I understand that our weather goes in 10 year cycles. We are now in the 7th year of serious drought, at least here in Ga. We have 3 more dry summers to go.

Last year I went to a garden supply house and bought a large bag of what I call "Magic Crystals". There are several brands on the market "Agrisoke" is one. Anyway they are water absorbing crystals and look like rock salt until wet, then they look like lumps of geletin.

I Started digging up a lot of my moisture loving plants and putting some crystale in the dirt down at the root level. I also started putting a few in each hole at planting time. One teaspoon of them will absorb 1 cup of water so you don't want to overdo them. They are great in baskets and things that otherwise need daily watering. I found some at Lowes, they are expensive, about $12. lb, but go a long way and save on your water bill.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

If you have sandy soil those crystals are great. Some cat litters will do exactly the same thing. I use Susie Q.
Ideal soil is : 1/3 rough sand 1/3 clay 1/3 compost.
I ll send you some of my rough sand Bloomer Its exactly what you need!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I asked for tips for a gardening article I was writing and several people said instead of buying the expensive crystals, they cut up diaper and sanitary napkin liners. Apparently they absorb and release water nicely. Someone else recommended cut up pieces of old sponges.

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

Woodspirit, did the people who recommended the disposable diaper/sanitary napkin/old sponge replacements for water crystals use these for houseplants or for outside garden? Also, did they say (if for outside garden) what the advantage of these would be over composting straw or shredded/torn up black and white newspaper?

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Clay would be a more organic source. Another member here pointed out that there is a Shultz soil conditioner with high fired clay . Paper and straw would break down in the soil. This is always good to have decoposing matter in your soil. It fights deseases. I appreciate the suggestion of the diapers and sponges.I like my soil to look like black gold. Clay also contains minerals. Compost has manure, bark , grass, cuttings etc. all decomposed. And will continue to decompose. It is an on going process , to keep adding to the soil. As time goes on your will have wonderful soil. I add composted manure. And Fresh compost to my trees, and plants annually. Sometimes twice a year. Then more Bark Mulch on top.The diapers and sponge would have little nutritional value to the soil.

Santa Barbara, CA

During our last major dought in California (6 years long) I tripled my gardening business by using all sorts of techniques and materials, most of which had more psychological value than practical. Those water-absorbing polymers were one of the former. Yes, the hold much water but have a few problems: no nutrient-holding capacity, release moisture to a point (then start taking up water from the surroundings, including roots), last only a few months (if starch-based), and disturb the root system from heaving when wetting and shrinking when drying.

I have seen houseplants pushed mostly out of the pots by expanding polymers grains. Also 15-gallon citrus trees planted over polymers lifted 4-6 inches.

There are also antitranspirant sprays which work very well in reducing water loss from plants but can be phytotoxic (so ask and then test on a small area.)

In the end, good organic material incorporated in the upper soil zone, infrequent and deep watering, and a coarse mulch will do well for you. The most amazing thing I learned during the drought when NO irrigation was allowed: many plants do well enough without much supplemental water. A couple of times I was investigated for seraptious water use because of how well some of my properties looked.

Marshseed, how about some examples of specific plants that did "well enough without much supplemental water"? Were these ornamentals or food plants? (I'm assuming that this was in SB CA.)
Also, have you noticed any difference on the desalinated water on plants as opposed to the other water? Every time I'm in SB to see friends or on business nearby, I give up on drinking tap water on desalinated days, as it still tastes salty to me.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Marshseed, Your air humidity is much higher where you are than where I am in the desert. And it has already reached 101 here this year. So any water holding help(in the simplest terms) is very valuable to me. I almost gave up any potted plants because they dry out so fast I would have to water 3 times a day to keep them wet enough.And this is on the north side of my house in the shade! Adding clay to my soil ( because it lacks it)and potted plants I think will really help me. Now I never thought of that, those crystals dry out enough they will contract the roots with them. When I travel out to the coast of CA, I am reminded of the heavily chlorinated water! This desert is Spring water.So I am spoiled.
I experiment on how much I can NOT water my tomato plants as well. It is amazing how much a plant can get by on, and still produce fruit. We call it Desert adapting plants, but maybe there is another term for it. Then I also save the seed and use it for the next year.
I am surprised I have not been investigated for high water use, I stand out on my street.
Keep them coming Marsh, this is great.

Anyone growing Blue Dent Corn under semi-arid conditions? Does it take about the same amount of water as yellow table corn, more, less, or what? I've got it planted in straw-enriched soil, interplanted with squash, but have never grown it or seen it grown before. (Just trying to beat the supermarket/health food store high prices for blue corn flour for piki etc.) All advice from semi-high desert blue corn growers appreciated!

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Tashak, My experience with growing any corn here is that it does very well. It needs adequate Medium water. I cant for the life of me grow sweet corn!!! I just get starchy tasting corn, no matter how much I feed it and water it , and collect it and cook it as soon as I pick it. And I have tried the sugar enhanced hybrids. Its just plain starch!!
if blue corn is starchy it will do great!!!!
I think it is just to dry and hot here.

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Michele ; contact Pioneer Seed for some professional advice on growing sweet corn in your area . They have the best sweet corn I have ever ever grown during my entire life ...consistently sweet that no others could ever match . Don't give up :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.