Clerodendrum

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I have a white (glory bower?) and a reddish purple bleeding heart vine.
i noticed today that there are a bunch of clerodendrum seedlings. should i let them go and just do their thing? i know at least one is the red because it had germinated before i got the white one.
how easy are they to transplant?
thanks jen

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

It is fairly easy to transplant the white as long as you get some dirt with the roots. I don`t have the red though.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

thanks for the info!
i think ill just let them stay where they are for now and develope a stronger root system. this is the 2nd full summer that the red has been in the ground and looks very healhty. i had no idea that it had set seed, let alone that it had dropped them, lol
thanks again
jen

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I know that with the Clerodendrum, you are suppose to cut them down in the wintertime. Since, you must enjoy summertime temperatures year round, I would cut the plant down by the end of the year. This will cause the plant do develop a very strong root system, become nice and bushy, instead of tall and spindly, plus, you will get more flowers produced on the "new wood". Hope this helps :~)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Shirley, I didn't know that. Is that why mine get so scrappy in the winter?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

mine always die back after the first hard freeze.
cala, is yours in the ground or a pot? i wonder if i kept mine in a pot if it would continue to grow and bloom inside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.