woodpeckers

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have a love of woodpeckers they turn up in the strangest places. The photo is of a greater spotted woodpecker, that I took last year.

Thumbnail by psilo
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, they're fascinating birds aren't they? What an intimate shot, i like that.

i'm lucky to have had all 3 uk spp in my garden. the greens nest in trees in the park at the bottom of my garden and when they fledge the babies often line up along the fences of the gardens here. What a row they make (back to noise again LOL)
The only lesser spotted was on a stem of Scotch Thistle (Onopordium acanthum) drilling into it. After it had gone i found grubs in the stems, which it must have been after.
Couldn't believe how small it was either (it's the only one i've ever seen). It was smaller than the male greenfinch sitting next to it!

The lesser spotted is the only woodpecker I have never seen as they are usually so elusive. You are very lucky indeed. One thing puzzles me though. Why do woodpeckers always seem to nest by busy pathways. The noise can be heard from miles around when young are there, and the parents always advertise their presence. If it was me Id duck down behind a bush and keep quiet until I'd gone

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Psilo: This would make a lovely watercolor!

Great pic Psilo!

We had a lesser spotted woodpecker out the back here (flat backs onto woodland) but I've not seen him for a while. The green woodpecker sometimes flies out into the open a couple of villages down the road, he and his family have nest sites right next to a footpath too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I thought you gals would like to know that we had a couple of English birdwatchers in our gardens in the last two days. Quite interesting fellows... gray in the muzzle and full of stories. They were quite pleased with the birds they saw here. They hope to pass through again in a couple of days before heading back to Anchorage to fly home, and when they do, I hope they have time to visit a couple of marshes in the area that have wonderful water birds in them. One marsh is beside a tidal flat.

I've given them the address to Dave's Garden, as at least one of them is not only a bird watcher, but has taken an interest in his late wife's garden and is in need of some plant identification.

That's great Weez.
Just have this wonderful picture in my mind's eye of them joining a flock of migrating birds and flying west. Must be that time of night here - haven't been at the wine, honest :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

They were both a bit long in the tooth to fly too far without aid of an airplane, though it is an amusing picture, isn't it! They were both quite nice and interesting to visit with. We just don't seem to have men like that over here. Of course, I'm at that age where I find men with white hair, a pot belly, and a gift for gab very alluring! Thank God, my old tomcat qualifies!

And don't forget the beard LOL

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ah, yes, the beard! I guess that would have to include the bearded old goats, as well!

*giggle*

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

*Snort*

*And any other disgusting noises we can think of*

Sorry psilo, it's happening again. Certain members of DG shouldn't be allowed on other people's threads together LOL!
But then, seem to remember it was you that started the beard/clean shaven debate...........

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

philomel:
To add a little to our English visitor story, this morning (monday) Peter had admitted that when they had stoped on Sunday morning he did'nt know what a "bloody mary" was and opted for coffee. Brian on the other hand took the "bloody mary " right away.
Peter said that when they stop by on wednesday he would sure like to try one.
.................................Dennis..................

Not sure i could manage one at breakfast time Dennis, but Peter certainly needs to widen his education! Give them our best wishes from back home across the pond when you see them on wednesday please.
And i'd like to hear about all the birds and other wildlife they've seen, so they really do need to join us on DG LOL

Dont mind me I like a good giggle with the rest of them, and I can never take life too seriously. Talk about old men you should see them posing in a life class. We would be hopeless!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, psilo: I can imagine I'd get thrown out of your life class. I'd get a case of the giggles, and one of the models would come stomping over and throttle me. Not to say that I don't enjoy the mature male physique! Any form without a fold, wrinkle, a bit of gray hair, or a bit of fat on it is only a fading memory to me.

I fear I'd get many more chuckles in your art class than the old gents! To paint me in the natural state, you'd better prep up your pallet with LOTS of flesh tones and a bit of violet for the veriscosities on my Rand-McNalley (road map) legs!

weezingreens - so tell me who you would like to paint in the all together. My first choice every time would be Sam Neill - know who I mean - hmmmmmmmmm!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

No, psilo, but I'm always interested in learning. Who is Sam Neill?

Just how remote are you? Sam Neill is an australian actor who starred in Overboard with Nicole Kidman, Jurassic Park the paleontologist, The Piano ... Am I ringing any bells here? Dark hair, crinkly eyes and a smile to die for. Sexy or what?

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Dont remind me of the Piano, went to see it at Horwich Warners so glad it was a multi cinema cos i did not like the film so i nipped into Sleepless in Seattle instead.

Sheila great to here from you, and living so close too. I know that cinema well. I agree the film wasnt much to write home about and Sam sported a beard Yuk! If you have read other threads maybe you would like to join the Sam Neill fan club. Benefits- you can daydream as much as you like. First you must answer one simple question. Who is the sexiest male and if you saw him emerging from the sea which plant would he have between his teeth? (if you have no idea what I mean look on Geraniacea threads)
Annette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.