Hibiscus-not blooming!

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 6B)

My neighbor gave me a 4 foot healthy hibiscus--it never bloomed for him thought it is full and lush. I have it out on my deck (faces east--zone 6) and it looks green and nice but never has a flower bud. In the fall I bring it indoors.
I have had other hibiscus and flowering was never a problem.
How can I get it to bloom?

SandyR

(Zone 8a)

Sandyr,
Too much fertilizer and they will not bloom...you could try cutting it back to force new growth which may bloom...just stick the cuttings in potting soil and keep moist and they will root!

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

SandyR, I'm in zone 5 and my hibiscus get full sun almost all day. I use a fertilizer with a high middle number on them every couple of weeks. Have always had bloom. I do not fertilize the same during the winter in the house though.

SandyR-I'm in zone 6 and mine are in the garden. they get cut back severly in the fall and mulched really well and have been blooming for years. Is this a perennial hibiscus?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes I think too rich a soil may be preventing the blooming. I got a hibiscus from a friend and I was watering well. Buds used to appear but fall off before opening. Dejected at that, I stopped watering and left for the full afternoon sun to take care of it. Lo and behold, it worked. Within a month, the buds started to mature and open and open into lovely flowers!! The soil was good enough, didn't give much fertilizer. How's that?

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 6B)

Thanks everyone. No, this is not a perennial hibiscus.
It is just spending the summer on my deck and will come back in this fall. I will try your suggestions.
SandyR

(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry I should have asked it is tropical and you should stop any fertilizer...I had one to grow 6 ft and no blooms and fed it miracle grow and then read they need very little fertilizer too late! I still recommend cutting back some too!

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.