Alaskan Bracken Fern

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This little bracken fern (Pteridium aquilinum) makes a lovely natural edging around the shady parts of my lawn. It is low growing and well behaved.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your post. I was trying to decide whether to keep the ones my sister has just given me. That settles it. I'm keeping them, if in fact, they survive the transplanting. :)

WG

Your Braken (a subspecies, possibly var. pubescens which occurs naturally in Alaska)is a lot smaller than the Braken that occurs here (P. aquilinum var. aquilinum). In no way is the Braken here as neat, small, well behaved and as pretty as yours!

Would either of you be interested in seeing the Braken here from the New Forest?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Baa, I surely would like to see your New Forest bracken. These lovely little ferns seem to run together under the surface of the woods. I've successfully transplanted them by lifting moss, but they are a bit delicate. Any suggestions?

Sorry WG I have no suggestions as this is a major problem plant for us and transplanting it is not something we would consider doing LOL! As I said in another thread they also harbour deer ticks in the UK which carry Q Fever, besides removing most wildflowers and/or their seeds here results in a big fine if caught.

I'll get a pic of the Braken either later today or tomorrow :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lord, Baa, I'm beginning to think we live in Eden here in Alaska! We have no ticks around here, that I know of. We never have to deal with ticks or fleas on the dogs or ourselves! Of course the mosquitoes could carry off a small deer, and the black flies bite hunks out of us. I'm afraid I'm keeping the insect repellent people in business!

I'm sure disturbing forest flora is frowned upon here, as well, but only illegal in federal or state parks, as far as I know. These things are growing in my yard! It seems there is very little that is invasive here, save a few of our local "weeds". I've posted pics on some threads before, but they generated little interest. Maybe I'll try again.

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour

William Blake

Paradise is where you make it, in my humble opinion.

Talking of taking chunks out of you, horse and crab flies are abound here during high summer, not to mention midges! Ponies and donkeys also, for the unwary sandwich carriers. Adders too but fortunately they are the one thing that are still quite shy of humans LOL.

I see a lot of the grockles walking through braken with shorts on .... heavy boots and jeans for me, even then I try and avoid the stuff, especially when it's coming up to the rutting season.

I try and look at as many forums as possible especially where wild plants are concerned but I can't always spend the time. I think posts such as yours generate much more interest than it seems from the reactions and of course it helps with broadening the knowledge base of the group. I'd never even considered that Alaska might be a good place for plants, so you've opened my eyes to a new avenue of virtual experience.

Braken pics tomorrow, didn't get the chance to venture far today.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Baa.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.