Great Blue Heron

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Just took this pic tonight about 8:30 ~ We were on our way home from the store, And this heron had flown right above our car into a river/swamp ~ I think they are so awsome looking! ( They remind me of 'prehistoric times') Anyways, I had to run home and get the cam-corder ( Which took about 20 minutes) And, Thankfully, He was still there when we got back, So, I filmed him for about ten minutes and below is one of the shots of him, There was also a beaver carrying some branches ( Which swam right by the heron) and a few mallards ~ It was a good spot at the right time to see a bit of nature.

Thumbnail by IRIS
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I love those birds!! We had two fly over tonight while I was outside. I thought someone was sneezing really loud, looked up and saw them. DH calls them "gooney birds" because they are so ungangly when they first take off in flight.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

we have one or two that visit across the road from us each night. there's probably 2000 acres and a creek headed towards the Chattahoochee, maybe a small lake. Love looking at them, I wish I had a place to view like you did. Great shot

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Calalily, I thought it was just me, But, They do make a wierd sound don't they?? lol
I just love to watch them at any chance I get! I wouldn't want to see them at my own pond tho! lol
> Tig, Wow, Your lucky! One or Two each night? I just got lucky seeing this one ( Couldn't miss it, It flew down right over the car ) And it didn't seem to mind being filmed at all.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here has many time it has all white.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

R&R, Are you sure it's not an 'egret' your seeing? They look alot like Herons, Only they are white.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, now ours could be egrets too, can't see what color they are as they are flying overhead. I know they're huge!!!

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

Blue Herons are very rare. Too bad. These birds sure are exotic looking in any case. What a pretty garden sculpture their likeness would make!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes they are very exotic looking ... Actually they look kinda "prehistoric' looking to me ... There are quite a few likeness sculptures of them around ( I have one myself ) and, there are so many out there that are so beautifully crafted!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have the joy of watching one of these huge birds on a daily basis..I sit on out back deck morning and late afternoon..He's almost always there, maybe 50 feet away..I can sit and watch forever. Watching him catch fish is really a site..He'll be totally still and all of a sudden, dinner..LOL..We also have the Wood Storks several times a year and tons of other waterfowl, including my ducks and geese.
Larkie

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

That's awsome Larkie! I'd love to be a able to watch a Heron each day! What a treat! And having all that extra waterfowl is special too! We get a lot of wildlife here, But, Not the same on an everyday basis, But, Usually alway's some kind of neat surprise!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.