what will mushroom compost do for my soil?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I am trying to enrich my bedding soil to make my plants grow like weeds............. LOL................. has anyone used mushroom compost?

Pioneer, CA

I used a lot of mushroom compost when we lived in Scotts Valley because the soil was so sandy. It's great soil ammendment, hope your plants make you proud!
Jacquie

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh thanks Jacquie, I had given up! Maybe mushroom compost is just a California thing.......LOL. So tell me where is Pioneer?

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 2nd 11:37 PM

Pioneer, CA

Kell, sorry I haven't been on here for a while. Pioneer is in the gold country,off of highway 88, about an hours drive from Jackson and Sutter Creek if you are familiar with that area. We absolutely love it here. We moved from Aptos, near Santa Cruz about six years ago and have lived in Scotts Valley and Santa Clara too. This is our favorite spot. If you ever go to Lake Tahoe via 88 you pass our turn off.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been to Jackson and Sutter Creek antiqueing............ so it is hotter in summer and colder in winter? So why do you like it there so much?

Pioneer, CA

There are so many reasons we like it here Kell. Our neighbors are the greatest! There is very little traffic, you can go into town and not fight the traffic for an hour. We are close to big towns if we choose to go there and yet don't live with the problems they have. True, the summers are hotter and the winters colder, but we kind of like the change in seasons. I love to take long walks after it snows, it is so quiet and peaceful.I grew up on the S.F. peninsula so this has been a new experience for me, but I really wouldn't go back unless I absolutely had to for some reason. It's just different living in a small town where people still seem to need each other.Besides, it's so darn beautiful here!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

bags are packed, I am on my way...............

Pioneer, CA

Come on down! (up,as the case would be)

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Kell,

Mushroom compost should be widely availabe throughout the country.

Here are some places you may find insightful:

Mushroom Compost:
http://www.vic-hannan.com/mushroom_info.htm

Wondering about using mushroom compost in your garden?
http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/garden/soil/mushroom.html

Soil composition improvers
http://homepages.which.net/~fred.moor/soil/care/c0103.htm

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh thanks Violet, I just found this post again. I will check your links out. That was very nice of you!
thanks

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I use mushroom compost all the time. It is easy to get here and I think it works.

San Francisco, CA

Some people on Garden Web say mushroom compost has too much salt but I use it without problems. I buy it at Orchard Hardware and Garden. But, if you want the top of the line buy Bumper Crop compost from East Bay Nursery in Berkeley.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Bug girl........you are revivng all my old threads! LOL!
I got mine at Orchards also!

San Francisco, CA

Hi Kell,
Do you do home composting? It is much superior to any thing store bought, but it is a lot of work.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

no bug girl.....hate to admit even though I bought a container to do it. I got to the part about having to have straw and that thru me.

San Francisco, CA

I can advise you about that, in fact you do not need to put any straw in there. There is much misinformation out there. I wish you could come visit my garden, and my compost set up and see my soil. It is very black soil. It does not dry out fast anymore. I save on watering.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So how do you do it?

San Francisco, CA

It would take a lot of typing to explain all of that, check out the posts on compost tumblers, I typed some tips there.
I found straw was not a good thing to add. When I used straw it was not breaking down fast enough. The Garden web has a fairly descent FAQ about composting, on their soil forum which you can read without joining. There are also on line help sites, but some just have wrong information. Where did you read, about the straw? I thought about writing my own FAQ, but not everyone would agree with everything I do with composting. Just keep reading about it on line. I am always trying to learn new tips and ideas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.