Hidden beauty

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I forgot about planting these and planted taller stuff in front of them. They can only be seen from around behind the bed looking down into the center.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, how beautiful!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Callas for Cala! Pretty color. They always remind me of glass! So simple yet so elegant.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

This is very pretty. I bet it was great finding it hidden.

Feeding Hills, MA(Zone 5a)

A surprise for your soul!

It was a good surprise. I love finding hidden plants.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

So delicate!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

beautiful! Just beautiful.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

They are georgeous, Cala!! I planted a couple of those bulbs too..........musta been duds.....no foilage even!!

"eyes"

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Calla, I have had colored callas for years, usually they get about a foot tall at most, this year, they have not reached past 5 inches at most, and they have flowers on them. I will try to take a photo to post, it is puzzling to me, since in years past they have gotten nicely tall, and this year they are dwarves. I mean really itti bitty....
Would you know what would have caused this stunted growth?
Our rainfall has been the same, the temps have been the same, nothing really is different (that I can think of)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Ah - your namesake - so pretty

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Susie... I have almost the same problem as Pebble... This year, I re-planted about 20-25 healthy-looking bulbs, and only a very few have grown. Do the bulbs have a short life? My few that have grown are not really stunted, however. Used bone meal as always, and just don't understand what happened.

OK, sorry it took me so long to get back. The bulbs that you buy have been soaked in GA3 to make them grow strong with multiple branches. Sometimes the second year they are either floppy or don't grow too good. They should perk up the third year. I have a half dozen or so that are doing the same thing, I think the soil is too dry there. When they are growing they don't like to get too dry or they start to go dormant.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

could be the dry factor.....I'll try to do better on my watering. thanks Cala...

Thanks, Susie. My bulbs are now about 5 years old, and our dryness could be a factor here too even though I water 2x a week.

Darius, it depends on how well drained your soil is. If it's got a lot of sand and doesn't hold enough water, it could be too dry.

My soil in that bed has a heavy clay base, with about 12-14" of good loam over the top. These were the first beds I made at this house and I took great care in double-digging, and mixing the soil and amendments. Everything else in those beds is doing quite well, and I don't over-water because of the clay base... I don't want to make a cache-basin, LOL. It may be that I just didn't store the bulbs as well as I thought. Thanks for your advice!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Hello, Cala and all!

I will take a picture of my 'Black Forest' calla. I don't have a digital camera yet, but this will be it's second year in the "Dark Side Garden". It did not bloom last year, so I was very surprised to see it bloom a few days ago. It is still in bloom. Hopefully I will get a nice picture of it to send to you. Yours is just gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.