Yucky growths on my grapevines, Help!!

Oak Ridge, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Everyone,
Please, I need help.
These things are small round juicy vesicles growing on my wild grape vines. They're not on all of them, thank heavens, but the numbers are increasing.
Saw a few of them about a week ago. It's been pouring here all week, so haven't been out much. Today, went outside and found allot of infected vines.
Would really like to know what they are and how to halt their growth. Have a whole 40 ft wall of vines, plus what's growing on my fences.
Your advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dorise

Thumbnail by Dorise
Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I have no idea what this is, Dorise, but I too would like to know. Any ideas?

Lewisville, TX

Are these lesions a ruby red color?

If so, Poppysue told me that this is the Grape tumid gallmaker. A small fly by this name lays its egg within an unfolding bud or shoot tip. Maggot-like larvae hatch and feed on vine tissue. A small (1/8-1/4") reddish gall forms around the larvae as it feeds. Galls can be found on leaf undersides, clusters, and petioles. Although vineyards in New England have reported serious infestations of this pest, it has not been a problem on Long Island. Treatment is not recommended, except in extreme situations.

Here's the link she gave me:
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheets/grapes/pests/gtg/gtg.html

I hope you have better luck than I did. I lost all the grapes on this old grapevine (but could have been due to some other pest...)

Oak Ridge, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much.
Read through the link. That figure (4) picture was Uggggggggly!!
Went out this morning and there were allot more. Did find some reddish color ones coming off the shoots, just like the article described. How gross. Chopped off lots of them, probably won't do much good though.
Will check at the library tomorrow. If I find out any other info, will post it. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.